1974 Ford 4000 Diesel

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #1  

Deep in Dixie

Tractor
John Deere 4020
I’m looking for feedback from owners of similar Fords. I’m looking at a Ford 4000 diesel with FEL unit with over 3200 hours ( meter is not functioning) with mild blow by but what caught my attention is the seller says he has to use starting fluid “ sometimes” to crank.
Seller says he has installed all new injectors.
FEL only has 1 dump cylinder , and it’s not center mounted, rather it’s on the right side lift arm.
also states hydraulics are in good functioning condition - It was disclosed that the FEL will handle approx. 1,600 lbs.
Does it look like it’s with the $5,500 he’s asking? Or pass it by?
I appreciate any feedback
Thanks!!

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #2  
Given the rather basic description you provide with no info about transmission type,tires, rims, any remote valves or general appearance I would say there is a good chance the tractor is fairly priced. A 3 cylinder 4000 diesel is a well regarded 50 hp tractor. The loader configuration, while odd was built as you describe. If memory serves me it is a model 722.
I looked for several years for a decent 4000 diesel with loader and finally settled for a gas job. Luckily I was able to score a 201 cu. in. Diesel a few years later and performed a transplant.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #4  
I've got the 4000 you describe. It's a workhorse. The loader, with the dump cylinder on the right side, is a 727 model. Though slow, I have not found anything it can't lift. I too have to use a squirt of starting fluid when it's cold. Just make sure you have a strong battery. Given the way used equipment has shot up in price lately, $5,500 sounds reasonable. I have mine valued at $8,000 for insurance purposes.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #5  
Did the seller say whether or not he also uses (functioning) glow plugs?

If it takes glow plugs and starting fluid to start it, that could be a symptom of too much blow by.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #6  
Those old Ford diesels are hard to beat, we had a 2000 3 cylinder and I don't remember it ever failing to do what was asked of it.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #7  
I just bought a Ford 420 skiploader needs some work I payed 5000 now I replaced the transmission hydrolic fluid and will replace all the rest it runs good has a number of leaks that need attention but I figured on putting another 500 to 1000 into it has all new hoses but I'm thinking seals are needed needs some tires for sure anyone got anyfeedback

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #8  
Did the seller say whether or not he also uses (functioning) glow plugs?

If it takes glow plugs and starting fluid to start it, that could be a symptom of too much blow by.

I think the 2000 -5000 diesels had the thermostart heater that also provides a bit of diesel drip to get them going.
Not sure they ever offered a 2000-5000 with glow plugs, being direct injected engines.?
Ford actually offered some of the 2000-5000 series with an option of ether injection for cold weather starting from the factory, also equipped the diesels pistons with steel ring land inserts to take some of the extra stress of ether. IIRC

My 3000 SOS had a LOT of hours and had a fair amount of blowby.
An inline coolant heater, tarp and Good battery made all the difference in the winter for cold starting

No argument on the blowby being a sign of some wear.

Last edited:
   / 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #9  
I've got the 4000 you describe. It's a workhorse. The loader, with the dump cylinder on the right side, is a 727 model. Though slow, I have not found anything it can't lift. I too have to use a squirt of starting fluid when it's cold. Just make sure you have a strong battery. Given the way used equipment has shot up in price lately, $5,500 sounds reasonable. I have mine valued at $8,000 for insurance purposes.
Thermostart repaired and a block heater. Starting fluid bad for it. Find me one person that says it is good for it. I've seen new engines run out of fuel. Filled tank and started on your magic fluid, never to start again without a rebuild. One year old 50 horse tractor.

/ 1974 Ford 4000 Diesel #10  
Starting fluid bad for it.
Maybe...but I ran a Ford backhoe in the late 1960's that actually had a provision for starting fluid. The can of fluid was inserted in a slide (something like that, but I'm probably using the wrong terminology) on the instrument panel.
IIRC, you could only do one squirt at a time (that is, can't continuously spray).
This was in what is now Columbia City in Howard County, Maryland.
I also recall bonfires set under some of the dozers and other equipment to warm 'em up enough to start them.
I also remember having to use a jackhammer to break up the ground in order for the Backhoe to dig sewer trenches.

Them was the days when I was young, stupid and could handle cold winters!!