1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #1  

Doitnow

Tractor
MF 165
Suddenly my old MF left me stranded in the field yesterday in neutral range. It seems to move ok into high range but won't engage and will not slide up into low at all. Can anyone suggest what an easy fix could be?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #2  
This isn't uncommon after transmission gets worn (no need for repair or rebuild,just be more deliberate in following shift pattern while changing gears).
The problem is usually alignment with the 1-2-3 shifter.
Remove the oil fill plug near shift lever and you will see gears that slide back and forward. Move handle while observing gears on right and left to see how handle is supposed to alighn with gears on either side. Us a long screwdriver to slide gears back into sync lever.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #3  
I don't think it will be that simple if the problem is with the hi/lo portion. Whether it's a six speed or eight speed, the hi/lo shift rail is on the far right side and can't be accessed through the filler plug opening. Can you feel the detent when you shift from hi to neutral and back again? If so, that would indicate you're moving the rail, but maybe not the shift fork. If not, the problem might be with the set bolt that secures the shift gate to the rail.

Did this happen while moving or at some point when you stopped and changed gears?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #4  
Had similar happen twice on my M4700.
First time I repaired it by spraying lube on the shifter rods underneath and tapping.
Second time I went to do that and discovered a small branch had gotten wedged in the mechanism. I posted it here years ago but the search function is so broke and the attachments of my prior posts are lost in the shoebox of pictures.
/edit
Check all the linkages and lube if needed.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #5  
Have you checked the oil level in the transmission lately ?
My 8n Ford wasn’t shifting properly and when I checked the oil level it was quite low so I added a couple quarts and it’s been working perfectly ever since.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #6  
got the multi-power on that one?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it?
I don't think it will be that simple if the problem is with the hi/lo portion. Whether it's a six speed or eight speed, the hi/lo shift rail is on the far right side and can't be accessed through the filler plug opening. Can you feel the detent when you shift from hi to neutral and back again? If so, that would indicate you're moving the rail, but maybe not the shift fork. If not, the problem might be with the set bolt that secures the shift gate to the rail.

Did this happen while moving or at some point when you stopped and changed gears?

This isn't uncommon after transmission gets worn (no need for repair or rebuild,just be more deliberate in following shift pattern while changing gears).
The problem is usually alignment with the 1-2-3 shifter.
Remove the oil fill plug near shift lever and you will see gears that slide back and forward. Move handle while observing gears on right and left to see how handle is supposed to alighn with gears on either side. Us a long screwdriver to slide gears back into sync lever.
I'll take a look see

Was off the tractor briefly so not changing gears. I could feel it trying to engage into high if that's what you mean by indent then yes.... it clicks in a little but not normal, a bit loose might describe the feel when moving from high to neutral. then a bit sloppy going into low but not moving forward in either range. I would have put the 1,2,3 gear in neutral when dismounting. Then when back on it and shifting all gears before trying to move forward with pto engaged the whole time.

Was off the tractor briefly so not changing gears. I could feel it trying to engage into high if that's what you mean by indent then yes.... it clicks in a little but not normal, a bit loose might describe the feel when moving from high to neutral. then a bit sloppy going into low but not moving forward in either range. I would have put the 1,2,3 gear in neutral when dismounting. Then when back on it and shifting all gears before trying to move forward with pto engaged the whole time.
detent* not indent

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #10  
If that's the case, it may be the issue has something to do with the end of the shift lever, the gate it fits into, or the bolt securing the to the rail. You might be able to remove the lever by first removing the roll pin holding it into the casting, but it probably won't gain much except a vantage point to see a little more. To actually do anything, you will need to remove the shift cover. That's a project.