1979 Ford 1900 4wd

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd #1  

Oakley

Tractor
2002 Kubota BX2200
I'm going to look at the tractor tomorrow, it has 186 hours on the rebuilt engine, owner says everything works, but the glass on the gauges needs to be replaced thanks to their kids. He's owned it a few years and has kept up the maintenance, it has some dings but is mechanically sound. I'll be using it to brush hog nasty stuff that's taken over my mother's property and my Kubota BX2200 isn't cut out for it. Also plan to use it for scooting round bales.

Anything special I need to look for on this tractor?

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd
I can get it for $3000. The Kubota I wanted sold and the 2nd choice Kubota had the PTO malfunction when running at 540. Screenshot_2018-06-15-20-13-16-1-432x320.jpeg

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd #3  
I have one. It's got around 1200 hrs on it. Runs good. Hard to start when cold and glo plugs work but still not easy to get going in 32 degree temps.
Ours has issues too when it runs out of fuel it's very hard to start and get primed up and running again. My radiator has been somewhat plugged and was causing it to overheat. You might want to make sure the radiator is clean and the rad fluid is not rusty in there like mine was when I first got it 10 years ago. I flushed and flushed and flushed it but the rust was inside and i had it hot tanked and soldered last year for a few leaks. The parts for these things are expensive (if available) and the radiator is 650$. Not cheap at all.
The water pumps do go bad like all other water pumps and it's also around $300 for it too. Mine went bad the year before I got it.

Steve

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd #4  
Not sure what year they started coming with ROPS but I'd ask if the owner knows what happened. Our 1500 didn't have them since it'd seen some pretty rough times.

One thing to be aware of is that parts are getting tougher to come by. When our tach went out in the 1500 had to replace it with a junked 1510. From what I understand the XX00 were less common than the XX20/XX10.

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd
Not sure what year they started coming with ROPS but I'd ask if the owner knows what happened. Our 1500 didn't have them since it'd seen some pretty rough times.

One thing to be aware of is that parts are getting tougher to come by. When our tach went out in the 1500 had to replace it with a junked 1510. From what I understand the XX00 were less common than the XX20/XX10.
Thanks for the replies. I did check the radiator when looking it over, ended up buying it, since it ran good and finding a 4wd in this size and price range is near impossible.

I've used the box blade to level the driveway, which hadn't been maintained in years, the grading blade to clean up muck from around the hay rings, and am now in **** trying to connect my mother's old brush hog. I dragged it out of weeds, filled the gear box, lubed everything, sharpened the blades, but now can't get the driveshaft all the way on the PTO gear to lock... about 1/2" away. Sprayed it down with PB penetrator and am letting it sit while I restock on curse words. Not ladylike, but it makes me feel better, lol.

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd
I have one. It's got around 1200 hrs on it. Runs good. Hard to start when cold and glo plugs work but still not easy to get going in 32 degree temps.
Ours has issues too when it runs out of fuel it's very hard to start and get primed up and running again. My radiator has been somewhat plugged and was causing it to overheat. You might want to make sure the radiator is clean and the rad fluid is not rusty in there like mine was when I first got it 10 years ago. I flushed and flushed and flushed it but the rust was inside and i had it hot tanked and soldered last year for a few leaks. The parts for these things are expensive (if available) and the radiator is 650$. Not cheap at all.
The water pumps do go bad like all other water pumps and it's also around $300 for it too. Mine went bad the year before I got it.

Steve
Ouch, that seems like a lot for a water pump. This one has 740 hours on a working gauge. The local glass company said it would be between $5 - $10 for a new piece of glass, so I'll be going that route instead of getting a new tach/hour gauge.

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd #7  
Looks like a decent little tractor. It should get the job done.

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd
Looks like a decent little tractor. It should get the job done.
I'm really enjoying it, gotta figure out how to drain the hydraulic fluid and clean the screen, it was foamy when I checked it after use. Don't have a manual yet.

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd #9  
I have the owners manual for the 1900 4wd. I will see if I can scan it into a PDF file and post it on my website to download. Will let you know when I'm done with it. Probably in the next few days.

Steve out of town in Toronto

/ 1979 Ford 1900 4wd
That would be very much appreciated!!!