1987 Case 850D Oil Change

/ 1987 Case 850D Oil Change #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I posted a while back I have recently acquired a Case 850D dozer from a friend. It needs an oil change. Is there a way to extract the old oil thru the dipstick tube instead of having to crawl under the machine and remove the skid plate?

/ 1987 Case 850D Oil Change #2  
   / 1987 Case 850D Oil Change
Check and make sure there isn't a small oil drain plug cover, on the main engine belly pan. Here is a link to Case Construction Parts, that shows such a small cover. Official Case Construction Equipment Online Parts Store and Parts Look Up. Parts for Case Equipment and Construction Equipment. Parts Store for Case Wheel Loaders, Case Excavators, Case Skid Steers, Case Original Parts.

I have never crawled under this dozer but have squatted down and saw the skid plate. Your post was extremely helpful and eased my concern of wrestling with the skid plate while laying under the dozer. I will report back once I get all the filters together and service the machine.

/ 1987 Case 850D Oil Change #4  
A lot will depend on how much mud it has been ran through by you, or a PO. If you've never had it off, don't be surprised if you need to do some digging to get to the plug.

The 450 we had at work, we just dropped the belly pan, as it spent a LOT of time in creek channels, and generally packed with dirt. With two guys, some blocks, and a long bar, it was easy to drop down. If we were lucky enough to happen by the shop when due for service, one of the large shop floor jacks made it much easier.