1997 MF1230 Fix Me Up Please!

/ 1997 MF1230 Fix Me Up Please! #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Did it again, guess i'm a real sucker for a little Massey near the front door...
Bought this 25hp twenty year old 4wd Iseki built tractor yesterday as a project to renovate.
They were asking 5500 and after I found out it had gone upside down in a pond, albeit briefly,
the price went down to 4800. Still a lot of money for something that looks like this but I can see past that.
Renovating old equipment is a hobby, particularly with Gravely machinery.

I went there yesterday for a second drive and unit was in the shop in pieces, which actually was good. Easier to look around, nice to see
the leak in front right diff was only a gasket, and all the gears and bearings looked perfect. About 1100 hours on the engine and it was bone dry, no leaks
anywhere. The guy just let it set out until it looked like a lawn roach and then bought a new one. Owned by dealer's BIL since new, so it's been serviced every year
and there are no surprises.

I needed/wanted another small tractor so I don't have to hook and unhook so much. Bad arthritis, bum right arm, pto shafts stymie me. So this one ton tractor will pull my
6x12 utility wagon around the farm as well as being used primarily for a big carryall I'm going to build on the rear three point for landscape work.
Several TBN members have built beautiful ones and I'm headed today to TSC to get a carryall on which to build the wood decking.

Very few BX and B Kubotas around. I found one NH with a mower, but I don't need a mower. This was bare bones, and for me, just what I wanted. Like buying a truck where you aren't stuck paying for the sunroof you never use...

Won't be hard making this look like new. Tires are a real challenge due to oem turf sizes. Very few tires made that fit these size tractors; lots of ag tires but almost no turf tires.
I found a Carlisle Multitrac CS for the fronts, 24x9.50X12, instead of the oem 8.50. Looks to be plenty of clearance for the extra width. Rears at 315-80-16 are the real challenge so far, I think I found one tire. Will continue to look, but rears have more issues with dry rot than wear. Fronts are shot.

I live on a small farm where I have fruit and nut orchards. Recently I've been using my larger Massey to do some row crop disc'ing for my next door neighbor, whose old JD is giving out. Often a chipper lives on the back of the 2615. But this little tractor won't be used that hard, just for pulling and hauling things around. The Kubota has a FEL and is used for all the typical purposes plus I have an 8 foot LP finish mower on the back. So that tractor is not very maneuverable in tight spots. Hydrostatic was a must on this and it seemed to work fine, though all the controls were horribly stiff from sitting out so long.

I had gone to the Massey dealer to pick up some parts and saw this tired little guy out on the lot.
I heard a calling....fix me up please, fix me up!
Drew

Attachments

• IMG_0350[1].JPG
    IMG_0350[1].JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0352[1].JPG
    IMG_0352[1].JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0358[1].JPG
    IMG_0358[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 243
   / 1997 MF1230 Fix Me Up Please! #2  
I had a MF1240 and ran it for 10 years. Never a leak or a major problem. Never let me down. Best tractor that I ever owned and a great little workhorse! Good luck with it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a great tractor platform you just purchased.

/ 1997 MF1230 Fix Me Up Please! #3  
Next little fixer upper yoI want, look me up. I got a mf 1531 and Mark it cheap. Good luck with the one you have.

/ 1997 MF1230 Fix Me Up Please!
Let's see Phillip, you're in Kansas, so if you can reverse Dorothy's tornado, you could land it right down here....:D

Thanks guys. Am headed to see it this morning actually. I forgot to write down the tire sizes while I was there, need to be super sure here since
the sizes are very odd and in some cases no longer available. Will need to go up an inch on tire width in front, will eyeball the frame and be doubly sure before
I order these tires. I'm only operating on info from online and I want to go use my own eyeballs.

Local TSC was out of stock on rear carryall so I'm headed to the one right down the street from the Massey dealer so figured I'd go doublecheck the tire sizes. You never know if what someone is quoting online is what was on their tractor when they got it, and who knows if the right size was put on, unless it's a fairly new unit, which this one is not. I did feel wearing out the front tires in 1100 hours seemed about right. Rears due to lighter loading last a lot longer, usually dry rot and cracking are bigger problems. I will soak them in 303 and inspect for cracks.

Got my pre enjoyed tractor home today, just before the rain started, so timing was good. Still need to make room for it, hiding under the rv shed at the moment.
A seriously ugly tractor with a lot of potential. Ran nicely down the lane, they had lubed all the stiff controls as I had requested. All new tires on order, rears are already in,
fronts from Amazon Prime not yet here. That Prime is sure no guarantee of two day service. Seems it used to be...

Dash was replaced at 907 hours so still a low hour machine for 20 years old.
Since it got serviced each year at dealer's that means oil was changed every 50-60 hours, all good.

TSC Carryall and 2x6 treated lumber ready to go. Need to go down to TSC and pick up the carriage bolts to build it.
And for sure buy some paint.

Attachments

• DSCN0829.JPG
    DSCN0829.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0827.JPG
    DSCN0827.JPG
    532 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0826.JPG
    DSCN0826.JPG
    511.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0825.JPG
    DSCN0825.JPG
    515.3 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCN0824.JPG
    DSCN0824.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 292
Stripped! Well not entirely. New tires all done and ready to be picked up this morning.
I powerwashed the tractor, it was surprisingly clean. Then air blasted it dry and lubed every linkage I could find.
Some were hidden behind rear wheels that even dealer missed.

No need to do a lot of painting on the frame , other than the three point
hitch area, it cleaned up nicely. Ball ends of lower arms worn out from 1100 hours of using rear mower. Can't fix them, they wobble in the socket,
and would not use this for ground engagement without replacing lower arms. I saw what happened to my farmer neighbor when a three point ball breaks; his
big disc harrow climbed right up on top of the back of his tractor on a turn, almost killed him.
I had to help pull it off with my FEL. That taught me a lesson to not run with worn out wobbly
ball ends.

bought some rattle can paint at TSC, will use that and see how I like their version of Massey Red. This is such a small tractor I can always buy one can of the "good stuff" from dealer and put a final coat on.

This little tractor really needs some fresh fuel and diesel additives. Truly needs some TLC.
Am working on the carryall for it today.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 269
after hours and hours of blue taping wheels, I finally got them done and installed on the tractor. Of course while they were off I had all kinds
of things to do in that area before the big tires ceased all access. Found some rot under one floorboard, prior owner left the tractor outdoors and poor design of floor pan
allowed water to pool. Thin steel kept wet, not a good recipe. I cleaned it up, rustfixed the area and will likely weld a small piece of metal over the swiss cheese area.

Went for extended ride, ran great, need to let even more air out of the tires. Going down to ten in the rears from twelve.

Now I can work on the exterior paint but I wanted to get it functional first.

Attachments

• IMG_0374[1].JPG
    IMG_0374[1].JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 186
  • DSCN0833.JPG
    DSCN0833.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 111
making progress
still have ROPS to go.
Rear I did in oem paint and it turned out fine.
Front I did in Rustoleum Gloss Cherry, which is very close to the MF red for half price,
and it all turned out very poorly, wrinkled paint, like I have texture paint on the tractor.
I'll get more oem paint and redo it. Have learned my lesson. Plus this oem paint is really good, like the old
Valspar oil paints, oily and sticky. May take awhile to dry but when it does, should be a nice gloss finish. And it will match
my newer Massey nicely.
Lined the footwell areas with sheet rubber to prevent the water damage problems of the past.

painting over the fiberglass console left a bumpy finish. More than a few fish eyes from some old chemicals or oils I must not have gotten totally off despite
cleaning. Most I was able to fix.

Attachments

• DSCN0851.JPG
    DSCN0851.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN0852.JPG
    DSCN0852.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0850.JPG
    DSCN0850.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 127
   / 1997 MF1230 Fix Me Up Please! #9  
Drew, this is coming along very nicely. Hope you get your paint issues resolved on front.

Did you repaint the wheels or just clean them up? What color is that on your wheels. I’m needing same color to repaint wheels on one of my trailers. Thanks!

Drew, this is coming along very nicely. Hope you get your paint issues resolved on front.

Did you repaint the wheels or just clean them up? What color is that on your wheels. I’m needing same color to repaint wheels on one of my trailers. Thanks!

Rick, thanks. The silver is what Agco called Corporate Silver. It has some metalflake in it. Was not easy to get to come out right but it does have sparkle. Same color at TSC but no sparkle.
Tomorrow I see whether repainting the front works.