1st Impressions of BX2350

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350 #1  

bravo36

Tractor
BX2350
Well, got a chance to put the new toy to work on Saturday on our lot on Lake Lewisville.

But first, a little history...

I had a guy clear out the underbrush with a skid steer last year to remove all the dead trees, and noxious undergrowth. He did a fine job, and allowed much needed sunlight and oxygen to get into the heart of the property. That, coupled with record rainfall of 35+" so far, caused an explosion of some of the tallest, nastiest weeds I've ever seen....literally 10' tall and thick as fur. I didn't know what the heck I'd find living in there.

I haven't been to the place probably in the last 3 1/2 months, when we decided we'd just drive by and take a peek at the new lake level after all the rain. Lake level?? I couldn't even get thru this stuff to see the lake. Major miscalculation on my part for not planning for this. No problem, I could solve this...I'd just "rent" a tractor and bush hog and mow it. Hmmm...everybody else was having the same problem, and couldn't find a tractor to rent for a month. Besides that, I couldn't find a 4' bush hog and a tractor small enough to run around and thru all the trees on the property (just under 2 acres). In the meantime, I had surreptiously got hold of a Kubota BX brochure and casually left it on my desk where I knew the wife would see it.

So, the wife says, "Why don't you just take your weed-eater up there and cut us a path down to the lake, I really want to see how high the water is now." (We've been in a drought for over 2 yrs., and the lake has been extremely low.) So, I said, "OK, why don't you come with me and give me a hand?" "You can use the machete." She agreed, and off we went a couple of Saturdays ago.

2 hrs., a blister on each finger, and about 6 gallons of sweat later, we had hacked out an area roughly the size of my pickup. I don't know what kind of weeds these things are, but they are tough as nails, big around as my thumb, and towered over us about 3 feet. It was also "bug city" in there. It was about at this point that the wife says something to the effect of, "I've has enough of this s***, why don't we just go buy a small tractor or something?" "Looks like we're gonna need it anyway once we build our house." Wow, honey, what a great idea!

The rest, gentlemen, as they say, is history.

Present day...

So, off to the lot I go hauling our newest acquisition, the BX2350, complete with FEL, and a 48" Bush Hog SQ148. After checking all fluids levels, I dove right in, cutting a main path all the way to the rear of the property to the lake shore. It was tough going. There was stuff flying off the tops of the weeds as the FEL plowed thru laying them over for the Bush Hog to chomp on. Bugs and insects I cannot begin to describe were up my nose, down my shirt, up my pants leg, and many...many wasps and yellow-jackets that were, uh, pissed. There were loose sticks and small logs, and a small stump here and there. Few rocks, thankfully.

After I reached the back side, I looked back and was amazed at the efficiency of the tractor and mower. I ran the unit at about 2800-2900 rpm's, in low gear, and 4wd. It looked like I was cuttin' a super-highway thru the Amazon. Trying to watch where you're going and also trying to keep an eye on the mower height and watching out for debris forced me to take it slow and easy...which is probably a blessing.

After about 2 hrs. of steady cutting, I had effectively figured out the perimeter, located most of the stumps, and zigged and zagged my way thru the majority of the trees, laying out my cutting pattern. The tractor at this point hadn't even so much as stuttered, but I was wringing wet with sweat, and caked with a nice even layer of fine brown "stuff". No stings yet, though. I had to take a break and found me a shade tree and parked.

Checking over the tractor, I couldn't so much as find a scratch. The Bush Hog was doing a fine job, and the little BX was pulling it like it belonged back there. All fluid levels checked out normal, but it was then that I noticed about an inch, literally, of fine fuzzies covering the intake screen in front of where my legs rest. ****, I remembered reading about this on TBN, but I hadn't been paying attention. I was watching the guages, and the temp never made it into the read...though it was just under it about 1/2". Cleaned that up, and wiped out the floorboard of the "stuff". (Note to self: Bring a small wisk broom for the floorboard next time).

I let the engine cool down a bit, and had the wife bring me a burger. She was amazed at the progress, and was able to walk thru the property to the lake...kinda. She was pretty happy at the job the tractor had done, but not as happy as I was. I was...impressed.

Anyway, back at it, I had to use the FEL a few times to move some fallen trees out of my path. I also utilized it continously as a probe. I kept it about 6" off the ground as I moved forward thru this mess to find anything that may damage the mower. It worked like a champ. Terrain is slighty hilly, and dirt was a little on the loose side. 4wd also came thru with shining colors. Never once spun a tire (turf's).

4 1/2 hrs. total, and I was give out. Uncle. It was about 101 degrees in the shade, and not a breeze could be felt thru this stuff. Loaded up the BX, and headed home. In the driveway, after letting the tractor cool down for several hrs., I decided to break out the power washer to have a look at her. Man, was she dirty. Didn't look like the same tractor I had only taked delivery of less than 24 hrs. earlier. The washer did it's job, and in just a few minutes, she was looking her old self. Still couldn't find a scratch on her. The Bush Hog, however, had lost paint in several places, and looked like you would expect. I checked all fluids again, and all wers still normal. The fuel indicator guage had hardly moved, indicating a very efficient machine indeed. The fuzzies were back in the intake area, but the radiator was fairly clean, so I guess the pre-screen did it's job, but I can't help but think it could've been designed better. Everything was greased, and tractor was stored (indoor storage) until the next time.

All in all, I cannot say enough about the BX2350. Solid machine. Powerful, efficient, tough, and slightly sexy, though modest. I am no expert by any means, but I have to give this little tractor 2 thumbs up and a solid 9.0/10. I'd give it a 10 if they had come up with a better design on the radiator/air flow location. I felt rather proud of our new investment, and was very thankful of the knowledge I had garnered on this website. You guys share your knowledge and wisdom without so much as a second thought. Priceless! Prepared me for something I hadn't done since high school...and I'm 51 yrs. old. So, here is a heart felt and sincere: Thank You!

I'll attach a few pics of the property so you can all see this was no easy task, and let you all judge accordingly.

**My Bro-Tek skid plates just arrived tonight...after the first usage. If I had to do it over again, I would wait until I had them installed under the tractor. You wouldn't believe the sticks and what-not I pulled out from the underside. I consider myself "lucky" to have not damaged anything. Thanks to Richard for the "express" shipping on these from Canada. They are fine looking units and WILL be installed prior to further use.**

IMG_0392.JPG

Property Entrance

IMG_0395.JPG

After a couple of passes

IMG_0396.JPG

I can see the lake!

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

Making Progress...but the vines hanging from the trees are full of thorns!

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

To be continued...

Last edited:
   / 1st Impressions of BX2350 #2  
Though I owned a BX22, I have to say that I'm impressed with the tough job you tackled with your new machine! That is some tough going for any tractor, and it's great to know that the BX will handle a 4' brush hog so well. Thanks for sharing the story, and pictures...

Chuck

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350 #3  
Nice review.

I had the same experience with my BX2200 and 4' KK rough cutter. I was always concerned about the low ground clearance, but never actually hurt anything down there. And like you say, it runs the 4 footer without even breaking a sweat.

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350 #4  
bravo36,

Great story! and nice pics. I love my BX2350.

I have approx. 70 hours on the BX now and it hasn't balked at anything I have thrown at it. I have cleared and reclaimed about 1/4 acre so far, using the FEL, 4' Bushhog, Rake and grader blade. Just kept chipping away at it.

If/when you are ready to do some dirt work, do yourself the biggest favor EVER, get a toothbar for your FEL, you won't be sorry, more like amazed at the improvement.

Continued good luck, and keep the stories comin' ;)

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350 #5  
Nice work and thanks for the review. A 4 ft bush hog is on my wish list for sure.

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350 #6  
Nice story. Good news bad news on the fuel use. The good news is that the machine is pretty good on fuel. The bad news is because of the shape of the tank, the first half of the tank will get used and still show being almost full. I almost took mine back to the dealer because my gauge did not budge for the longest time. Rest assured, once you get down past the mid point, the fuel gauge will drop significantly faster.

As for the vines, once you have cleaned things up a bit, bring out an ax or chainsaw and sever the vines at the base of the trees. You don't have to pull them down or anything, just simply cut their source of nutrients and let nature do the rest. If you use a chainsaw, be careful not to get any of the shavings on you if it is hot and your pours are open (assuming some of them are poison ivy or oak). I found this lesson out the hard way. If you do get get to itching, don't wait - head for the doc for a steroid shot .... that solves the problem almost immediately.

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350 #7  
Dats nuttin, wait till she gits broke in. Den shes a monshter.(upper Michigan dialect) How high was the lake????

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350
Well, shoot. I thought I was gonna get to go round 2 this weekend with the BX, but looks like life stepped in the way and I gotta drive to West Texas (joy) to take care of a few things for my elderly Mom.

Anyway, I received the Bro-Tek skid plate the other day, and plan to put them (front and back) on when I get back on Sunday. I have also ordered a grill guard and should have it by middle of next week.

A Markham toothbar is next on the list, and also should be here next week. Just picked up a Cold Steel 2-Handed brush Machete that should make short work of the thorny vines growing into the treetops.

I figure 1 or 2 more trips with the Bush Hog, and I'll be back on here trying to learn how to effectively use the box blade to smooth out some very rough places and remove the highs and lows.

Property 'was' perched on a little overlook about 20' above the lake when we bought it about a year ago. Water level is now 4-6' below the property. I.e., the lake is full and going over the spillway. More rain expected this weekend, compliments of our most recent Tropical Depression...Erin. More rain=more weeds. Bring 'em on...I'm ready now.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, tips, and support. It's appreciated immensely!

Attachments

• grill guard.jpg
    grill guard.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 429
  • 2 handed machete.gif
    2 handed machete.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 337
   / 1st Impressions of BX2350 #9  
bravo36 said:
Well, got a chance to put the new toy to work on Saturday on our lot on Lake Lewisville.

. All fluid levels checked out normal, but it was then that I noticed about an inch, literally, of fine fuzzies covering the intake screen in front of where my legs rest. ****, I remembered reading about this on TBN, but I hadn't been paying attention. I was watching the guages, and the temp never made it into the read...though it was just under it about 1/2". Cleaned that up, and wiped out the floorboard of the "stuff". (Note to self: Bring a small wisk broom for the floorboard next time).

The fuzzies were back in the intake area, but the radiator was fairly clean, so I guess the pre-screen did it's job, but I can't help but think it could've been designed better. I'd give it a 10 if they had come up with a better design on the radiator/air flow location.

Just think if it was a front entrance for the air flow? That's the normal entrance for the radiators air! I think you did well as there is no way around your problem that I've seen in years. If the grille was leaned to the rear on the top then when you shut down much would fall off but that would be about the only improvement that I could see could be done. There are certain jobs that just require different manitence.

I always recommend the grille gaurd with a loader!

/ 1st Impressions of BX2350
art I always recommend the grille gaurd with a loader![/QUOTE said:
Yeah I found that out the hard way when I picked the box blade up off of the trailer and it swung into my plastic grill.