2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #21  
I have a 2 year old commercial type refrigerator/freezer that has a compressor for each section and they are both R290 units.
As far as the NEC and new ideas look at who makes up the body responsible for it, the large manufacturers.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #22  
I would charge it with R22. It’s pretty available, with lots of it being reclaimed from decommissioned systems. The OP didn’t say what happened to the original refrigerant charge, or if the system is tight now. I would definitely do a good long pressure test with nitrogen before evacuating it.

That’s assuming it’s a DIY project. Most contractors don’t want to get involved with patching up obsolete equipment, and for good reason.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #23  
i paid lots of $$$ trying to patch up my old system. then, 7 days in 105f weather waiting for replacement unit sealed the deal. never again. the new system works flawlessly during last years unprecedented (for us) heat wave here.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #24  
i paid lots of $$$ trying to patch up my old system. then, 7 days in 105f weather waiting for replacement unit sealed the deal. never again. the new system works flawlessly during last years unprecedented (for us) heat wave here.
What did you go with as I am asked all the time from.friends and neighbors wanting A/C in homes never having A/C. Some of these homes well over a million value but A/C is something no one had in this part of the Bay Area but even with A/C the grid can't handle too many in a heat wave... 105 this week.

Hospital is all Carrier with some plugging away since 1995...

I've installed some Tempstar and no issues but that was 15 years ago.

My home Carrier is circa 1993...

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #25  
honestly, ill have to go and look at brand tomorrow..... had high seer rating and good track record according to dealer. good warranty service with few issues. i got rid of a crappy, troublesome heat pump with gas backup to a straight AC system with gas heat. never looked back. funny,my elect bill is lowest in summer with AC than it is in winter, because wife has 5 heated horse waterers, heated garden shed, heat tape, etc.

but i already had ducting installed when house was built. to add ducting later on...now thats spendy.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #26  
Some have gas but for those that don’t it is no longer allowed to bring in…

The hospital is almost exclusively gas packs and very reliable.

The newest is not mine but tenant installed heat pump and lots of issues…

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #27  
Part of the problem is HVAC suppliers around here refuse to sell to anyone who doesn't have a HVAC license so most have to get multiple bids from HVAC installers who are going to mark units up based on what they think the market will bear.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #28  
I have NO experience with propane as a coolant.
I can think of a lot of questions to ask. Many of the Goodman compressors are designed for 22/410. Sounds like your system is too old to be one of those. Be careful about changing coolants - don't want to contimate any coolant you charge with. Best Wishes.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #29  
Not a expert but have used what is call NU22 in place of R22. They say to vacuum it down and put it in same at R22 and not to mix them but I have and it worked. Hope this helps.

/ 2 Ton Goodman HVAC with 15' of lines retrofitting R-22 to R-290 #30  
Part of the problem is HVAC suppliers around here refuse to sell to anyone who doesn't have a HVAC license so most have to get multiple bids from HVAC installers who are going to mark units up based on what they think the market will bear.
When I needed a new 100,000 Btu 94% central furnace my then $800 option including freight was Grainger... no fuss, no travel just click and billed to account.