2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!!

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
Just got my soil sample back today 8 or 6 tons depending what type of lime I want powder or pellets. Now I know why the owner before let it go back to seeds.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #2  
Did a soil test on my pastures and I think it needed 5 ton per acre. Ouch!

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #3  
At what point does a person quit trying to change the soil to grow what you want, and start looking for something that likes to grow in the soil you have?

Bruce

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #4  
At what point does a person quit trying to change the soil to grow what you want, and start looking for something that likes to grow in the soil you have?

Bruce

If it's a pasture, never unless you get rid of the animals. If it's for profit it's when you quit making a profit I'd imagine.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!!
It used to be crops there years ago back in the 70s. Then when it change owners it was weeds until she had it plowed then let it went back to weeds. But I will take care of the land.

Just got off of the phone with the Co op it would cost over a grand for 6 tons!! . I'm not looking to spend that much now so he told me I could put down 2 tons this year 2 tons next and so on to raise the pH level.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #7  
My property is all pine trees. I can just imagine how much it would take to neutralize the soil. Problem with that might be the elimination of all the pines.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #8  
grow comfrey for fodder. The soil will be improved.

Pine trees are a pia to cut down

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #10  
Pine trees are a pia to cut down

Lime is something that takes time to work. It will be a year possibly to see much change in the ph. 3 years is a decent schedule to work to. But what do you want to do with it? Unless crops or animals are going in there, why spend the money?