2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference?

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #1  

oughtsix

Bronze Member
Tractor
'58 Fordson New major, BCS 735 & 715
I recently purchased a used BCS 948 with a broken dead-mans paddle and disconnected dead-man wiring. I am putting the tractor back to factory-ish condition.

Do you appreciate the dead-man paddle/switch on your 2 wheel tractor or hate it?

I have been using a Mainland (BCS) tractor for 25 years. There were no dead-man switches back then. I installed a simple toggle switch at the handlebars that I could pull back to kill the motor if I got in trouble. I was happy with this solution. I have never had a tiller with a dead-man paddle on it before. Is it inconvenient... at least the way BCS implements it? Or do you appreciate having it? It looks like you can lock the tiller on by disengaging the clutch and pulling up the spring wire to keep the clutch disengaged which also keeps the dead-mans paddle engaged like you were holding it down??? So I can move a rock or my daughters barbie without having to kill and restart the engine????

Dead-mans switch = kills the motor if you let go of the handle / paddle. Dead-mans switch is what I have always called these safety motor kill switches.

No OSHA comments please. I am the only one that will ever be using the tractor on my small 5 acre plot.

Last edited:
   / 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #2  
Wow. I've never heard these referred to as a 'tractor' before.

Dead man's clutch, dead man's switch? Doesn't matter what you call it. OSHA started requiring them in the early 80s on self-propelled tillers like this. Same rule applies to mowers and the like.

At the end of the day, appreciation is irrelevant. It is the law. Removal is futile...

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #3  
Do you ever use a push mower? I've never found them to be a problem. if they are, it's simple to tie it back temporarily.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #4  
A dead man's switch is a pain until you need it.

When I look at machinery that was designed in the 30's,, even the 60's, it amazes me that non-office workers reached old age with all their limbs. I like driving my 30 year old Kubota with NO Occupant Presence Sensor, compared to my newer Kubota. The old one allows me to keep motivating while standing to stretch

All that said, I've removed my dead man switches from my Gravely's . Others have warned me not to trip and fall down while walk-behind's are backing up - a good way to be ground up like hamburger.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #5  
Wow. I've never heard these referred to as a 'tractor' before.
Lol the thread is in the 2 wheel tractor section. They can do a lot more than just till ground. You should watch some videos of them working. Quite impressive.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #6  
On my Grillo, when I disengage the clutch the dead man lever is latched down, so the engine keeps running. The PTO and drive are disengaged.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference?
Do you ever use a push mower? I've never found them to be a problem. if they are, it's simple to tie it back temporarily.

I bought the Honda mower with a blade clutch specifically so I wouldn't have to let the mower die every time I came to an obstacle.

It does sound like I can do the same in my BCS 948 which should be fine for my concerns. I believe the BCS and Grillo work the same in this fashion.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #8  
None on the Gravely 5665. Once ran into a YJ nest. Just ran off and left it running until the YJs calmed down enough to back it away from the stump.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #9  
On my BCS850 the deadman switch is a lever above the clutch, like most mowers, if your hand leaves the grip everything cuts off, ie. shorts the motor out. I actually use mine most of the time, and yes, sometimes it is a pain, but there have been enough times I have had to get out of the way and it was really nice that the machine stopped. Sometimes I even think it does not stop fast enough. That said, sometimes you don't need/want it, so it is easy on mine to just unplug one of the wires going to the switch. Example, when you are using the chipper. The switch might or might not have saved my life a time or two, but is has for sure saved some bruises and wrecked machines. This is from someone who knows you can roll a BCS.

/ 2 wheel tractor dead man switches - what is your preference? #10  
Ifyou are using a tiller, a dead man's handle (and not the kill switch) is a really good idea. When the tiller hits a rock, or especially when it hits sod, it can jump quickly out of your control, and then the tiller will drive it at 3-4 times normal ground speed away from you. Without the automatic shutoff of the dead man's handle, the possibilities for bad outcomes are limited only by your imagination.