Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
This was in today's paper.

Attachments

• Large gar.pdf
    457.9 KB · Views: 582
   / 200 lb Gar #2  
Well you got me to look. Had no clue what a "Gar" was. Looks like a Aligator with fin's. That's one big fish!

/ 200 lb Gar
DieselPower said:
Well you got me to look. Had no clue what a "Gar" was. Looks like a Aligator with fin's. That's one big fish!

Sorry, everyone down here knows about gars.

/ 200 lb Gar #4  
That is a big gar. I haven't seen one in years, but when I was a kid, we used to shoot them with .22 cal rifles when they were caught in small pools in creeks as the water level dropped. Sometimes we would taunt them with sticks and get them to snap like alligators. I can remember my dad saying carp and gar were two "worthless" fish.

/ 200 lb Gar #5  
Similar to a northern pike. but a pike doesn't get anywhere near that heavy!! biggest pike I've seen was about 30 pounds..muskellunge get a little bigger I hear. but nothing like that:D you guys down south have it all over us new englanders with big fish.

/ 200 lb Gar #6  
YIKES...like the saying goes "Texas does it bigger and better" ;)

Sooo what does one do w/fish like that afterwards...eat it or chop it up for the garden?

/ 200 lb Gar #7  
I can remember my dad saying carp and gar were two "worthless" fish.

But I learned early in life that if they come out of clean water, they're both quite good eating. Of course I've never seen one as big as the one pictured, but I've caught and eaten a few smaller ones. However, it's been 45 years since I ate any gar from Lake Texoma.

/ 200 lb Gar #8  
Most likely if you asked for Snapper down here you would get gar,;)
Way back there Dad and I were sport shrimping near Houston ship channel, the ramp where we put in was a pick-up nearby, bed was brim full w/aligator gar, recon the fishermen were still out checking their gill nets.
Had a gal in my group whos uncle had a place on Lake Summerville, he did alot of pickeling of gar, which she and her cuz had brought w/them to Ho., ugh.
For more on aligator bowfishing see attachments, both text and videos.
Good day all
L*S

Welcome to Aim Low Productions, LLC

Welcome to Aim Low Productions, LLC

/ 200 lb Gar #9  
Not the kind of fish to noodle for. And if wade-fishing, wear a cup! :eek: