2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks?

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #11  
Wondering how much weigh you really want/need to lift..... Also Have you considered the bigger the load on FEL/Forks that you will need ballast weight on rear so you don't get teeter totter...

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #12  
please describe more your intended use. i don't see forks being used for digging or prying, etc but some do (using them that way puts added stress on loader arms too). in that case, get the heavier duty.

your loader is better matched for 2-3k version, enjoy, occasionally i'll paint my fork tips red for safety, etc, having loaded rear tires helps a lot if you're pushing the loader max
good luck

Last edited:
   / 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #13  
I think your dealer is correct.

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #14  
I would stay with the 2000lb. You will max out the loader before you bend them from lifting. The problem that some have may be from using them for things like digging or things they are not designed to do. But that is just choosing the right tool for the right job.
Not if you dig stumps or trees. I can pop a hundred 6" pines out in an hour with a skid steer. Forks work great.

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #15  
I dig all the time with my forks on the skidloader!! I be careful doing it and even if you dont dig with them go for the longer heavier ones. You will find the short ones useless most of the time cause they wont reach far enough under your load.
The first thing you have to decide is what you will use them for 99.9% of the time and buy accordingly!
Mine are 48"x 4" and I really need 60" x 5" to reach under awkward stuff that I have to deal with.

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #16  
skid loader & FEL are 2 different animals. risk of damaging a machine his size could be possible using in way you describe. if a machine can handle it, sure i'd go with 4k version, always been a fan of HD
what a person wants to avoid is stressing loader arms by using only 1 fork to pry unless it's centered between the arms, or both together in that way, etc just a thought

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #17  
Trying to figure out the appropriate size (strength) pallet forks for my LS MT3 series tractor. I've looked at 2000 lb & 4000 lb weight ratings. I was thinking I wanted 42" tines which is prevalent on the 2000 lb version with 3" wide tines. Most 4000 lb forks have 4" tines and 48" length. The dealer thinks the 4000 lb version is overbuilt for my tractor and uses up front load capacity vs. the 2000 lb versions. The 2000 lb version is lighter duty in all ways. Is there any reason to upgrade to the 4000 lb version? I believe the 2000 lb version is probably strong enough for general pallet lifting, but is it more likely that you can damage them (bend) when initially lifting loads with their tips? Any other pro/cons for these 2 versions of forks?
“can damage them (bend) when initially lifting loads with their tips?”

Buy an extra pair of forks if worried about bending the two thats on it. I have two 48 inch along with two 60 inch forks mounted on mine. Use the 60 inch for extended pick up sliding load back so you have four forks supporting (two 48” and two 60”). Works extremely well so far. Picking up a log, slide two 60 inch forks under it and tilt up Lightly. Let log slowly roll back on all four forks. Use the tips of 60 inch forks as a preview of log weight. Don’t get carried away with this setup because you will find yourself using 60 inch forks as a shovel for picking up big rocks or digging ditch’s. Before you know it your 60 inch forks will favor a rainbow. (If you enlarge my picture you may be able to notice two forks extended from front of maintenance cage = 60 inch forks. Maintenance cage is actual supported by four forks which lowers the flexing when maximizing lift capacity.)

Attachments

• 28AD5868-296B-4939-84FE-E2A4C8E695C3.jpeg
    28AD5868-296B-4939-84FE-E2A4C8E695C3.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 91
   / 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #18  
“can damage them (bend) when initially lifting loads with their tips?”

Buy an extra pair of forks if worried about bending the two thats on it. I have two 48 inch along with two 60 inch forks mounted on mine. Use the 60 inch for extended pick up sliding load back so you have four forks supporting (two 48” and two 60”). Works extremely well so far. Picking up a log, slide two 60 inch forks under it and tilt up Lightly. Let log slowly roll back on all four forks. Use the tips of 60 inch forks as a preview of log weight. Don’t get carried away with this setup because you will find yourself using 60 inch forks as a shovel for picking up big rocks or digging ditch’s. Before you know it your 60 inch forks will favor a rainbow. (If you enlarge my picture you may be able to notice two forks extended from front of maintenance cage = 60 inch forks. Maintenance cage is actual supported by four forks which lowers the flexing when maximizing lift capacity.)

Attachments

• 2DDCC10F-1FE8-42A3-82E3-4DF2C957DB1E.jpeg
    2DDCC10F-1FE8-42A3-82E3-4DF2C957DB1E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
   / 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #19  
please describe more your intended use. i don't see forks being used for digging or prying, etc but some do (using them that way puts added stress on loader arms too). in that case, get the heavier duty.

your loader is better matched for 2-3k version, enjoy, occasionally i'll paint my fork tips red for safety, etc, having loaded rear tires helps a lot if you're pushing the loader max
good luck
An a 8 ft box scrape also works as a counter weight on Workmaster 50.

/ 2000 lb or 4000 lb pallet forks? #20  
I never intended to dig with my forks, but ...

A couple of weeks ago I was moving a pile of empty pallets, to put the bigger one on the bottom. The bottom pallet had been there forever, and I'm kinda new at this. When I tried to lift the pallet it bogged down the tractor. I was leaning around trying to line things up, so I assumed my butt had come off the seat enough to engage the safety switch. I sat down firmly and tried again. Hmm. Luckily I backed out and went to look, as there was a decent sized root growing on the surface under that bottom pallet. I had been trying to lift that, not just the pallet. I actually pulled it up enough to roll a basketball under it. I didn't try too long or too hard, and don't think I did any damage, but that's something to think about if you're prone to bonehead moves such as I am.