2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration

/ 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
I cannot figure out what's wrong with my hazards/turn signals. There is short in the system, and only to this one circuit. Every time I try to insert a fuse, it sparks and burns out immediately. I disconnected the quick connectors to each of the rear lights/flashers to ensure that the short was not along any of the wires back there. I even disconnected the toggle switch, thereby isolating everything beyond the switch. Any thoughts about where I could look the next? I hate the idea of taking apart the front/side fiberglas shields (the only way to access the location of the relay assembly), but if i have to do it, I will. Thanks.

/ 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #2  
@jedjoe - Which fuse is it that keeps blowing? If I'm correct your TC35A has the same Fuse Panel layout as our TC40D, if that is the case there should be to different fuses.

Fuse #3 is a 10amp that is for the turn signals & Aux rear work light circuit
Fuse #6 is a 10amp that is used for the hazard flasher circuit

Which one is blowing? I think I have the electrical diagram & can look if you let me know what fuse keeps popping on you.

/ 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration
@jedjoe - Which fuse is it that keeps blowing? If I'm correct your TC35A has the same Fuse Panel layout as our TC40D, if that is the case there should be to different fuses.

Fuse #3 is a 10amp that is for the turn signals & Aux rear work light circuit
Fuse #6 is a 10amp that is used for the hazard flasher circuit

Which one is blowing? I think I have the electrical diagram & can look if you let me know what fuse keeps popping on you.
It is absolutely fuse #6 that keeps blowing. The aux rear work light works fine. The turn signals are not working, but I think that's because the turn signals and hazards are linked together in the lighting arrangement in some fashion. I remember before the hazards failed, when you turned on the turn signal, one of the amber lights would flash and the other would remain on but not flash.

/ 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #4  
The attached troubleshooting and schematics may help.

Attachments

• Electrical - Hazards Flasher.pdf
    858.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Hazards Flasher-Turn Signal Control Module.pdf
    896.5 KB · Views: 86
   / 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #5  
Based on the description of symptoms and the circuit provided by thclimer, I would suspect a short in the hazard switch.

Problem solved! As it turned out, i had a friction wear spot on the insulation of the hot wire that feeds the Fuse #6 circuit. It was on the BACK side of the wire bundle visible in the attached pic. When the tractor would go over uneven terrain, the bundle would jar against that horizontal metal plate, shorting the circuit and blowing the fuse.

The pic also shows my solution for the frequent deer mouse nests that end up in that warm safe spot near the relays and fuses. It's a Talenti Gelato plastic jar, filled with mothballs and with holds drilled into the top lid and the bottom of the jar. Nice rounded container, no edges to abrade any wires, and can be periodically refreshed with new mothballs. I did that because the last time I had to access this area, I found a mouse nest as big as a canteloupe sitting on top of all the relays, and they were all covered with "mouse by-product". Since the introduction of my primitive technology, my electrical area at least now stays clean and dry!

Attachments

• PIC OF SHORT LOCATION.JPG
    PIC OF SHORT LOCATION.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
   / 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #7  
Great idea for refillable mouse repellent! Can you smell the mothballs when using the tractor? I read years ago that Irish Spring bar soap will do the same thing.

Great idea for refillable mouse repellent! Can you smell the mothballs when using the tractor? I read years ago that Irish Spring bar soap will do the same thing.
I use the brand where the dominant scent is cedar, so yes I can smell it, but it's not bad at all!

/ 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #9  
Problem solved! As it turned out, i had a friction wear spot on the insulation of the hot wire that feeds the Fuse #6 circuit. It was on the BACK side of the wire bundle visible in the attached pic. When the tractor would go over uneven terrain, the bundle would jar against that horizontal metal plate, shorting the circuit and blowing the fuse.

The pic also shows my solution for the frequent deer mouse nests that end up in that warm safe spot near the relays and fuses. It's a Talenti Gelato plastic jar, filled with mothballs and with holds drilled into the top lid and the bottom of the jar. Nice rounded container, no edges to abrade any wires, and can be periodically refreshed with new mothballs. I did that because the last time I had to access this area, I found a mouse nest as big as a canteloupe sitting on top of all the relays, and they were all covered with "mouse by-product". Since the introduction of my primitive technology, my electrical area at least now stays clean and dry!
I have a Honda car that the mice just love. Turns out Honda used a wiring harness that has its insulation made from soybean oil. Brilliant. It has to be kept in the garage at all times with loaded mouse traps keeping guard.

/ 2004 TC35 hazards/turn signal short frustration #10  
That soy product wiring insulation is a pretty well litigated issue with numerous manufacturers. some suits have been successful, some not. My personal experience involved a 2017 Dodge Ecodiesel pickup. Putting that soy product under the hood was like installing a cheese wheel in there. Did about 7k in damage, which warranty refused to cover. Had to use homeowner's policy.