~2004 Troy Bilt Horse Tiller Issues

/ ~2004 Troy Bilt Horse Tiller Issues #1  

pawj03

Tractor
Jon Deere 1025r
Hi,

I have a Troy Bilt Horse Tiller that I recently purchased with a few issues I am trying to get lined so that it is more usable.

Info about the tiller:
~2004 Rear-tine PTO Tiller
Looks to have sat around for awhile...tines look nearly new
Briggs & Stratton PowerBuilt OHV 8.0

1. Electronic ignition does not work. I have replaced the ignition switch and starter solenoid. The battery has good charge. If I bypass the solenoid, I can get the starter to turn, but doesn't fire. When I turn the key to "run" and pull the cord, the engine will fire on the first pull.

2. Had issues running off choke. I cleaned carb (bowl was pretty dirty and cleared main jet out). Now runs pretty decent, but need to get new gas in it and still waiting for new spark plug to arrive.

3. The tines always turn...so I suspect that there is an issue in the interlock system somewhere. I have pulled the switches out of both handles and found both forward interlock switches were melted. I have replaced both switches and used a heat shrink around all wires to prevent any future accidental shorts around the switches. If I follow the interlock wiring, it looks like it goes to another location - on a plunger-like spring near the transmission.

4. Engine will not turn off. When I switch the key off, the tone of the engine slightly changes, but the motor continues to run strong...you need to pull spark or shut off the fuel. I am used to seeing a shutoff switch on many of these small engines, basically a small metallic switch that is made (on a non-keyed system). I'm just wondering if there is something different on this model.

Thanks in advance!

Will

/ ~2004 Troy Bilt Horse Tiller Issues #2  
Items 1 and 3 may be related. If the tines are turning then the wheels should also be turning since they run off the same belt, and shaft. Make sure the drive belt is in the neutral position which would be the direction handle in the middle position and not pulled down into the forward detent position. That could also be connected the the other interlock safety switch preventing the electric start from working..

The not shutting off should be a simple wire from the ignition module to a point on the engine where another wire goes from there to the key switch to shut off the engine. The slight change may mean that you are getting a very poor connection between the ground wire of the ignition module and the key switch, or maybe the key switch isn't grounding properly to kill the engine.

/ ~2004 Troy Bilt Horse Tiller Issues
RANDYT...thanks for the reply. I was thinking that there could very well be a connection, which was why I tried to spell out all of the symptoms.

When the tines are turning, I have the tiller set to the neutral drive position...so that the wheels are free-wheeling and I can roll it out of the garage. As soon as it fires up, the tines automatically start to turn. I have cleaned and re-landed all connections on the new switch and new starter solenoid, but I will have to pull everything else apart and check connections...which unfortunately won't be tonight as I am working late.

Thanks,

Will

/ ~2004 Troy Bilt Horse Tiller Issues #4  
Tines turning with wheel in neutral would mean that the drive belt isn't fully releasing allowing it to turn the input shaft of the tranny which is turning the tines.