2016 Deer season thread

/ 2016 Deer season thread #1  

roadhunter

Elite Member
Tractor
JCB 212SU
It's that time of year once again. My favorite time of year when college football and deer season are going on. I know we have plenty of hunter on here so I thought we might want a good thread to share hunting stories and pics. Please feel free to share your hunting stories and plans for the season.

I am waiting for rifle season (Nov 12) and Muzzleloader season (Dec 1). I haven't bow hunted in a few years as I have had limited time. I really miss going out during archery season as there is almost no pressure on the public lands I hunt here in Nebraska. I also have an elk tag and it starts back up Dec 1 so I plan to get out quite a bit in Dec. If you have never experienced Western hunting it is quite an experience IMO. Public hand hunting can be really difficult at times as well but I find it rewarding knowing that I was able to go compete with other hunters and be successful.

I've enjoyed hunting most of my life including deer, quail, dove, and waterfowl but my favorite type of hunting is Antelope. Growing up in Wyoming really made me appreciate them as they are very interesting creatures. I have also guided hunts for a season over in Wyoming which was quite an experience.

So what do you have planned for hunts this season? Any kids or grandkids involved? Anybody going to Alaska? Any moose tags? Sheep tags?

/ 2016 Deer season thread #2  
Tomorrow is opening day for whitetail season with a rifle. Season lasts about two months, but this week is when the deer will be in the rut and running around more then normal. I had an 8 point run out in front of me the other day while driving to a job, then turn and challenge me. For a second, I wondered what he was going to do, but then he slowly walked off into some trees.

Hogs are open year round, but we have a group tearing up the sides of our trails pretty close to the house right now. If we see a hog, we shoot it.

My wife has never shot a deer, just hogs and a few antelope in South Africa. My main goal for deer season is for her to get her first buck!!!!

/ 2016 Deer season thread #3  
Muzzleloader season started last Saturday here and ends next Tuesday 8th,than firearm starts 9th until first Sunday in Dec.
Sooo out I'll go w/camcorder and rifle ready to use in that order,last weekend when I put my noise to grind stone as they say,for less hunters and less of chance going holiday shopping w/Mrs. :)

Mature bucks just started to chase Does now,and young buck running about knowing they should be doing something but what.

/ 2016 Deer season thread #4  
Pulling camera cards;We several large bucks on camera all at night.Our best rut is normally Nov.5-15 and tomorrow is the 5th.I have seen "horns" 16 times already this year(archery,muzzle-loader and rifle) just can't bring myself to shoot one of those little guys when I know there are bigger around.

/ 2016 Deer season thread #5  
I saw a coyote this morning, but was too slow to do anything about it. No deer this morning, but it's raining now and maybe after its done, they might start moving around.

/ 2016 Deer season thread #6  
Got this picture 11/4/16 at 3:00 a.m.,this is why I am waiting to shoot.Have several similar on camera.

Attachments

• 100_1672.JPG
    100_1672.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 161
   / 2016 Deer season thread #7  
Gun deer season starts next weekend. We usually hunt with sons and grand kids on public land, but too much going on this year, so we will hunt on our farms. Two grand daughters will hunt up here and four miles away on another farm. My wife has her spot picked out and a new deer rifle, I can't go this year, but look forward to hearing the hunting stories.

/ 2016 Deer season thread #8  
Got this picture 11/4/16 at 3:00 a.m.,this is why I am waiting to shoot.Have several similar on camera.

Indeed a dandy well worth the wait.:thumbsup:

/ 2016 Deer season thread #9  
Helped my neighbor drag this 8 point out the other night,18 inch inside spread.

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
   / 2016 Deer season thread #10  
Today We are sighting in our rifles. My daughter came home from college to join me. My younger daughter has no interest in hunting but still enjoys shooting. I am a lucky man. A couple more weeks and we will be in the woods!