2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking

/ 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking #1  

BX23S-1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
Noticed today when we got the tractor out of the garage, that the forward/rearward movement of the FEL joystick seems to be moving pretty hard all of a sudden, it will not return to center position on its own. Left/Right is moving freely and working properly. Is this a fix i can do on my own? I sprayed some penetrating oil on the shaft right at the area where the rod moves in an out of the hydraulic block, but didnt really do anything to help free it up. We used the tractor a couple days ago and it was fine. Did something happen internally that we`re not aware of? Is this a common thing with the BX series FEL joysticks? I am not rough on my equipment, so i know i didnt bend anything or knock anything out of alignment.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking
Never mind, i found out all i needed to know on a couple other tractor site`s. Thanks.

/ 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking #3  
Don't leave us hanging...

What did you find?

My BX had a spring that broke and the joystick would flop around... it was the opposite problem... too easy.

Apparently its the assembly plug that holds the detent balls. Its a known issue, so i was told, and not just with kubota`s either. I`ll find out in the morning when i finish tearing it apart to see if that is really the problem with it freezing up.
The part number i`m told is K2871-03140. If you want to look it up, its #140 in the U95100 Front Control Valve Kit (VALVE)[COMP.PARTS] section at the kubota site.

Here is the link to the parts site. Just click to open the "Illustrated Parts List" once you get there >>>> Kubota | Parts - Agriculture & Construction Equipment

The whole complete control valve assembly costs $1257. I wasnt about to spend that kind of money to fix it.

Here is the price for the kit
Kubota: PLUG,ASSY(DETENT
Part Number K2871-03140
Messick's Price $71.19
Stock Quantity 0
Weight 0.20 lbs
PLUG,ASSY(DETENT

/ 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking #5  
Apparently its the assembly plug that holds the detent balls. Its a known issue, so i was told, and not just with kubota`s either. I`ll find out in the morning when i finish tearing it apart to see if that is really the problem with it freezing up.
The part number i`m told is K2871-03140. If you want to look it up, its #140 in the U95100 Front Control Valve Kit (VALVE)[COMP.PARTS] section at the kubota site.

Here is the link to the parts site. Just click to open the "Illustrated Parts List" once you get there >>>> Kubota | Parts - Agriculture & Construction Equipment

The whole complete control valve assembly costs $1257. I wasnt about to spend that kind of money to fix it.

Here is the price for the kit
Kubota: PLUG,ASSY(DETENT
Part Number K2871-03140
Messick's Price $71.19
Stock Quantity 0
Weight 0.20 lbs
PLUG,ASSY(DETENT

Thanks PaPow... got keep work ready.

Re: 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking - NOW FIXED! NO PARTS NEEDED!

UPDATE: 10-12-2020
RE: Joystick Binding up & sticking

Got further into the BX23s today, 2 (6mm) screws up under the fender, pulled the plastic trim off... and found this....

The issue that caused the joystick to bind was the ball joint had come loose and backed out of the joystick handle and caused it to bind. The fix was, LOCTITE on the ball joint threads that screw into the joystick!!! Problem now resolved with NO PARTS NEEDED, just some common sense. This is a poor design flaw. No way to lock the stud, other than using some loctite on the ball stud threads and just hope it stays tight.

The ball joint that backed out is the one i`m pointing to in the picture. Once you apply loctite to the threaded area and tighten it, be sure that the ball joint is properly adjusted so that it does NOT break the stud off in the handle of the joystick if you`re hard on your equipment. There wants to be a little free play so that the joystick does NOT put unneeded pressure against the ball joint. Check the other ball joint to make sure everything is tight and properly adjusted while you`re in there.

The tractor is now fixed, and fixed right. Threads now locked with loctite.

Attachments

• BX23s - Joystick Ball Joints - this one loosens up causing bind.jpg
    BX23s - Joystick Ball Joints - this one loosens up causing bind.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
   / 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking #8  
Good Deal... Locktite had saved me many times...

Good Deal... Locktite had saved me many times...

LOL.... if it wasn`t for loctite and duct tape, i wouldnt be able to patch stuff up and keep running :thumbsup:

/ 2017 Kubota BX23s - FEL Joystick Problem - Sticking #10  
It always nice when members take time to post the resolution of their problem.

Doug in SW IA