2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #1  

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
With 2018 year models very mature and 2019's right around the corner, I wanted to get the most current opinions from owners of why they picked the brand they did and if they are happy with their decision or not.

I'm once again considering finally buying a new truck, really want a diesel, and am not 100% sure which one yet. Last time I went through this exercise, I was leaning between the Ford and the GMC. As we head into the fall and winter, the 2018's will have more and more incentives as the 2019's roll out. It should be a good time to buy.

Preferably want a dually 350 or 3500, but not ruling out 250/2500's either or SRW 350/3500.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #2  
DRW trucks are way more capable if towing or hauling is the idea. I don’t think there’s much difference in 2500 3500 SRW trucks. I’m usually a Chevy fan, but I like the Dodge 3500 and 4500 trucks.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why
Yes, DRW is what I really want. Wife keeps telling me she doesn't like the looks and trying to talk me into SRW. I keep trying to explain that DRW is nearly 2X more capable in payload and towing than SRW and if going SRW, might as well just settle for the 250/2500 and save a very small amount of cash, but IMO, the value to me is much less do the limited capabilities in comparison.

Either way, it will be a huge step up from my 2006 F-150 Triton. Some loads I tote and have toted are really pushing what that truck should be towing. What I've learned over the years is that just because a truck is "rated" for some numbers and they are higher than the loads I'm putting behind it (even 20% higher), doesn't mean it's really what that truck should be towing. I keep trucks for very long periods of time (12 years and 200k miles on this truck), so want to step up for safety factor and also not be limiting myself in the future. I'm wanting to buy a good 16-20 foot dump trailer with 4' sides and don't want to limit how much I can actually put in it by having too small of a truck where the trailer will use most of the weight on its own before a load is even put into it.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #4  
An F350 SRW is still a capable truck and will haul any load a 16-20 dump trailer can throw at you. If you only tow with this truck, then the case can be made for a DRW, but if you drive it for anything else, SRW is the only way to go.

I've only had Ford Powerstrokes, so I'm biased. You know my answer on what truck...

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #5  
You can look at my username and know what I would suggest. :)

I drive a 2017 Super Duty diesel F350 SRW and absolutely love it. It rides and drives great for a 1 ton truck, pulls my fifth wheel like nothing is behind it, and has all the comforts of a luxury car. The 6 speed TorqShift transmission is awesome as well.

With all that said, it's a matter of preference. I say drive them all and buy which one you like the best. Something to keep in mind with the GM trucks is the DEF tank. It hangs low, so could be affected by off-roading if you do any of that, and the fill is under the hood, which is a bit of a pain. Overall, they are all good trucks and should last you many trouble-free miles.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #6  
Most that I know have gone away from the new diesels;too many problems and added cost.Our local dealers don't even stock any diesels anymore.All the HD trucks on the lots are gas.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #7  
Had three Ford diesels previously and had good luck with all of them. My 2011 F350 6.2 gas now has 110K miles and pulls everything I need it to. Just finished hauling round bales 14 4x5 per load on a PJ 22ft deckover trailer (about 18,000# total weight) Only time I miss the diesel with that load is on a steeper grade. For my uses diesel is now overkill.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why
Good replies so far. Thanks. This truck will likely be my daily driver and used for all towing/hauling. That is why wife doesn't want me to get DRW. She knows I'll have problems parking, etc. I just keep thinking that the money is basically the same for SRW or DRW, so why not get the DRW and have more capacity in the case that future events require more for me than current events. I will likely keep this next truck the better part of 15 years if the Lord wills me to be around that long. I don't want to be 5-6 years in and have some new equipment I can't haul because I didn't get the DRW and then be thinking about trading and starting over again.

It seems so far that the Ford is the most popular choice with this group. I must say, it is the front runner for me right now. I have driven them all in 2018 models except the GMC. I have driven the Chevy 2500 DMax and it was smooth and surprisingly fast at starts. The 2018 Ford F-350 DRW rides much smoother than my buddy's 2005 F-350 DRW. They have all made huge improvements in that area over the years. The Ram seems to be perfectly aligned in the shift points because you don't feel any torque shifting. Very smooth acceleration. They are all great. I'm just wondering if there is something that I haven't thought of yet that other's may have experienced that could be pertinent and make me change my mind or solidify it.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #9  
I Have a 17 F350 SRW 4x4 Ford Platinum with the PSD motor.....truck is incredible..more features and gizmos than imaginable in a pick up..Also have a 18 F450 4x4 DRW dump with the V10 gas. While the Diesel pulls better uphill, the DRW 450 is noticeably more stable pulling 10-15k pounds. My Mini X is roughly 10k and the trailer alone is probably 4K +\-.. that set up is always pulled with the 450

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #10  
Good replies so far. Thanks. This truck will likely be my daily driver and used for all towing/hauling. That is why wife doesn't want me to get DRW. She knows I'll have problems parking, etc. I just keep thinking that the money is basically the same for SRW or DRW, so why not get the DRW and have more capacity in the case that future events require more for me than current events. I will likely keep this next truck the better part of 15 years if the Lord wills me to be around that long. I don't want to be 5-6 years in and have some new equipment I can't haul because I didn't get the DRW and then be thinking about trading and starting over again.

It seems so far that the Ford is the most popular choice with this group. I must say, it is the front runner for me right now. I have driven them all in 2018 models except the GMC. I have driven the Chevy 2500 DMax and it was smooth and surprisingly fast at starts. The 2018 Ford F-350 DRW rides much smoother than my buddy's 2005 F-350 DRW. They have all made huge improvements in that area over the years. The Ram seems to be perfectly aligned in the shift points because you don't feel any torque shifting. Very smooth acceleration. They are all great. I'm just wondering if there is something that I haven't thought of yet that other's may have experienced that could be pertinent and make me change my mind or solidify it.

I had a couple SRW one ton diesels that I really liked. Then I tried a cab-over camper. That was not fun on a SRW. Off camber dirt roads, strong side winds - it felt like the truck was constantly on the verge of rolling. Not to mention having a rear wheel blowout at speed with all that weight so high up. I went to a dually; the difference in stability was dramatic. Don't sweat the extra width of the rear wheels - I got used to it quickly. The mirrors on a SRW are just as wide as the fenders on a dually.