2021 5520R First Regen

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #1  

Boswell

Tractor
5520R Branson, Ford 640, Farmall H
I don't know what an average or "normal" regen interval should be and "normal" may not exist. I realize it can vary greatly in how these tractors are used and driven. Owning an emission equipped tractor new to me. At 102 hours the warning "ding" and dash light came on. I had hoped to go longer however, pasture spraying over the last few weeks has required some idle time and I suspected it would lead to a regen eventually. With no wind I can use a boom sprayer and keep rpm levels up by selecting a gear and setting the throttle much like bush hogging or mowing. Windy conditions have me using a spray wand more often and having to stop and idle from time to time.
The regen process seemed to go well. I place all gear selectors in neutral, pulled park brake, then set throttle at 2800 rpms and held the regen button that operates the "flapper" in the lower exhaust pipe until the second dash light came on indicating regen was underway. At 20 minutes the tractor "ding" alarm sounded 3 times and both dash lights went out on their own. I let the tractor do a short cool down idle. Tractor now back to normal work. No noticeable increase with regard to engine operating temperature throughout the process. One note of warning to anyone still waiting for their first regen. The exhaust coming out of the pipe is very hot and if you have your FEL in a lower position it is aimed directly at one of the leg stands used for dismounting the FEL. I don't know if it will damage to coating but when I took notice a few minutes into the regen it was too hot to touch with a bare hand in fact hot enough to burn bare skin.
My take away is a fairly simple process and if I can maintain 100 hours or thereabouts between regens, I find this a tolerable level. The one con to this process is having to stop work to let the tractor regen. All worth it knowing I have a tractor that can never throw me a check engine light or code down the road.
Norm

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #2  
I would say 100hrs is real good compared to some other brands. I would leave the loader up for regen and keep radiator clean. Maybe do it in shade and pointed into the wind. Good to know you did not experience a rise in temperature.

Thanks for sharing.

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #3  
I wish it would throw OBD2 codes! My data recorder has what looks like an OBD2 port but none of my readers read anything. But the shop manual shows that there is info to be read from it with the supported reader. I'd like to be able to see that.

It can throw codes... about the DPF. Mine without regen will just tell you that the DPF is kinda clogged or really clogged. Yours with regen is more sophisticated.

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #4  
The first Regen on my Kubota came after significantly longer hours than those that came afterward. They're all different based on manufacturer differences and operating conditions, but I would not expect 102 hours for future regens.

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #5  
Glad to hear it went well. I think the extra idle time is what tripped it into needing the regen. I think the "normal" routine would allow the soot cooker to keep up with it and burn it off as you go along normally. Keeping your rpms up and a load on it may push the regens to farther apart than 100 hrs. Nice that you have the ability to manually regen in the new Branson system.

/ 2021 5520R First Regen
I wish it would throw OBD2 codes! My data recorder has what looks like an OBD2 port but none of my readers read anything. But the shop manual shows that there is info to be read from it with the supported reader. I'd like to be able to see that.

It can throw codes... about the DPF. Mine without regen will just tell you that the DPF is kinda clogged or really clogged. Yours with regen is more sophisticated.
Your reply got me thinking on why they would have a plug in port on the data recorder. Only guessing but possibly a proprietary reader for that brand of data recorder that would allow diagnostics of the sensors associated with the DPF?

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #7  
Here is a PDF with DPF cleaning procedures and the software that accesses the datalogger to do whatever it's needed via the OBD2 port. This came from Branson Germany, so you may have to translate some of it. This is mainly focuses on the DPF of the Branson 6225, which till now, was the only one with DPF in Europe. The 5025, 5825 and all the others, didn't had any emissions.

Attachments

• DPF-ja-katalysaattori-korjaamokirja-25-sarja.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
   / 2021 5520R First Regen #8  
Your reply got me thinking on why they would have a plug in port on the data recorder. Only guessing but possibly a proprietary reader for that brand of data recorder that would allow diagnostics of the sensors associated with the DPF?

The could have used an OBD2 port and reader and customized the protocol to make it unreadable by anything other than their reader. That'd be off the shelf and cheap, with just a software change. Or it's a known OBD2 protocol (there's a bunch) and the gear I used didn't try that one.

/ 2021 5520R First Regen #9  
Or one of the various CAN bus protocols.