2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #1  

Dynasty

What is the better choice for the 2021 Silverado 2500 HD? 6.6L gas or 6.6L diesel

I have the 6.0L gas engine now in a 2014 Silverado 2500 HD, but looking for extra power and an overall heavy duty machine. Does the 6.6L gas deliver a noticeable difference from the 6.0L?

Driving scenarios include:
- daily driver
- towing trailers up to 10,000 - 15,000 lbs
- snow plowing on private parking lot
- hot/humid summers and cold/snowy winters (Northern Ohio weather)

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #2  
What is the better choice for the 2021 Silverado 2500 HD? 6.6L gas or 6.6L diesel

I have the 6.0L gas engine now in a 2014 Silverado 2500 HD, but looking for extra power and an overall heavy duty machine. Does the 6.6L gas deliver a noticeable difference from the 6.0L?

Driving scenarios include:
- daily driver
- towing trailers up to 10,000 - 15,000 lbs
- snow plowing on private parking lot
- hot/humid summers and cold/snowy winters (Northern Ohio weather)

It depends on how much you're gonna use it.

You start towing around 10k+ and you're gonna really want a diesel. You get into any hill country and you're gonna want the exhaust brake on a diesel. Diesels aren't really that good for snow-plowing, IMO (front-end weight). Once in a while is fine, but they are better for about everything else.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #3  
If you get a diesel check the payload you will probably want a single wheel 3500 if you get a diesel.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #4  
I have an 08 Diesel. Never used it for towing. Just wanted a Diesel and got it FREE with the Allison when GM went into bankruptsy.

Been a good truck, engine wise, but hard on fuel and extra weight hurts me for registration. I can legally tow less than if it were gas equipped. Like 500#s legally in my dump trailer. Kind of ridiculous. That is without getting into a category of log books and annual safety inspections.

ALSO, the friends F150 I have here will run circles around the GMC, in the snow in 2wd compared to the GMC in 4WD with that extra weight up front.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #5  
Get the diesel and don't look back.

The 2500 is a Class 2b Truck. The payload number is calculated by subtracting the Curb Weight of the Vehicle from 10,000 lbs (the maximum weight allowed in a Class 2 vehicle). It's not even close to being accurate, IMO. It's just a number.

Down here(in the USA) the vast overwhelming majority of Hot-Shotters use F-250's and 2500's because they're essentially the same truck as a 3500 SRW but can tow a lot more legally (you don't wanna know)

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #6  
Just how much time do you spend towing? If you put a lot of miles on with 15,000 lbs hooked behind the truck then it is no contest. That diesel will pull that load up and over any mountains without breaking a sweat - with the tach staying below 2000 rpm and in overdrive. And it will hold back the load going down the other side of the mountain without you having to ride the brakes. Gas engine pulling that much weight will be running at 4000 rpm.

I solved the problem by having both. My "heavy" puller is a diesel. My "Sunday go to meeting" truck is gas.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #7  
How many miles will you drive and how much weight will you tow and better question, how many miles will you tow heavy? I also derive pleasure out of driving an engine with greater torque than the gas counterpart.
The 6.6L Duramax is going to have almost DOUBLE the torque of the 6L, so the power difference is almost 100% more torque!

Now I hear the 2L ecoboost gas engine from Ford is a Cummins, Duramax and Powerstroke killer. Has a bigger bottom end :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #8  
Diesel gets my vote. I have a 2018 F250 6.7L and love it. In the mountains it is a game changer for sure.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #9  
A diesel pulls better but you’ll probably never save money with one unless you’re towing everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.