2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #191  
It’s no different than looking at tractors. Of course, I wish my tractor could lift 5 tons to 20 feet high, but it’s more important that it fits in my garage, fits on my trailer, fits through customers’ gates, doesn’t tear up their lawn, etc.
Yeah, ummm, but these trucks are same size. They are built physically equal. Your example makes no sense. You are comparing 2 engines, not 2 different size tractors.
You start ripping diesels or making misstatements, people are going to respond.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #192  
OP...
Sounds like you're happy with the gasser you have, but would be happier with more power when you buy your new truck. I'm not a GM guy, but comparing the 6.6 to Ford's new 7.3, and then to the diesel options of both brands gives a pretty similar gas vs diesel discussion. So thinking of just gas vs diesel, with this year's models, here's a couple videos I came across from a hauler who recently switched from diesel to gas. If you can put up with the jerky videos, there's some pretty good info throughout. I'm not posting these for brand consideration, but for diesel vs gas from an owner who hauls with both in areas other than flat land.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #193  
I'm not a Ford man but it's good to see some real world reviews from someone who owns or operates the equipment that they are reviewing, looks like Ford did a good job with their new gas motor for 250's and 350's time will surely tell.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #194  
The diesel will get better MPG, but the fuel itself costs more as does the scheduled maintenance.

I'm not sure I would even agree with this anymore for the newest engine generations - in daily driving anyway. GM hurt the 6.6L L8T a bit by sticking to the 6-spd trans, but it will probably still pull mid teens mpg pretty easily. IE about the same as a Dmax, just with cheaper fuel. Now when towing, we all know what happens, so don't flame me hayDude, haha.

Heres a cool deep dive on the respective engine tech.

The comments are insightful too:
Over 140hp and 400lb-ft of torque BELOW 2,000rpm from a naturally aspirated engine is a remarkable achievement and will undoubtable be more than a sufficient choice for the HD's. Considering the outgoing 6.0L makes around 120hp and 330lb-ft at 2,000rpm.

The L8T will be a noticeable improvement. It'll be making more than 75lb/ft off idle than my L96.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #195  
Its not emotional....It’s silly claims that need to be addressed.
When someone claims BS like gas engines have the same durability as Diesel engines is when I start noticing.
And although the topic is about pickups, those wild generalizations like that will be pointed out.
Also noteworthy is I’m not the only one pointing out the wild claims of gas being as durable.

You also use disingenuous examples to make your case, as you have in this thread. It only takes one or two of these before you lose credibility in whatever you say or think.

Modern technology is getting out a lot more with a lot less and being just as durable as the old hunks of cast iron. That is just a fact.

You know what they say about dying on a hill just because your favorite tool is a hammer and everything looks like a nail to you.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #196  
Gasser or Diesel?

1616514530921.png

Reductio ad Absurdum

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #199  
Yeah sorry that’s what I meant by private party... friend, friend of a friend, friend of a friend off the forums, etc.

EFI live license is around $125
Buy a license, it’s emailed to your friend and he can flash a tune on your truck.

Go to some Diesel Forums and tell them that. I'm sure they'd like to hear it

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #200  
One factor to think about: The OP is buying new. Lets say the sticker price is $60K gas vs $70K diesel. The upfront cost of the diesel is easier to justify than 10 years ago when the same trucks were $35k and 45k respectively. You are already at a small house mortgage, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.