2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #1  

MetroX

Tractor
2004 Toolcat "B"
After an impressively fast waiting period (by today's standards) I picked up my special order Toolcat Model G (I believe it's considered a G) in late September. A couple things motivated me to spend nearly 60k on a new machine, not the least of which being the high resale of my old one! I did strike a deal with another farmer friend of mine to buy the old one, however I haven't seen the $$$ yet so I might have to list it for sale. Admittedly, selling to a friend is a concern because as you probably well know, 15+ year old machines do develop problems outside of normal maintenance. And if I wanted to keep fixing the old one, I'd have just kept it! All in all it's been a very good machine, some small issues with wiring when it was newish that I had to find myself, and I did get new drive motors under warranty when it was just a couple years old. It's also popped numerous hydraulic lines over the years, which always results in a total hydraulic fluid flush (on the ground) and refill. New glowplugs aroud the 10 year mark, and a little rust repair and repaint to prep it for sale.

The primary reason I started looking at new equipment including articulated loaders was the need to lift 2000# pallets, and desire to stack large hay bales (3x3x8) 4 high in the barn. This means a lift height of at least 9', and that's not what a Toolcat does. However, prices on articulated loaders scared me away, very close to $100k. After a test drive from my local dealer of a 2020 Toolcat, I can say it will lift more weight than the Model B although 2000# pallets off a flatbed is certainly the limit of the current model. But hey, barely getting the job done is still, getting the job done. I found a way to stack the bales by lifting 2 at a time, which the G does easier and it does seem to have a slightly higher lift reach, maybe 6" which makes a difference.

I did a special order for three main reasons. I hate keyless start, having to punch in a PIN code all the time was sure to be aggravating. I get how it could be useful when you have multiple operators, but not for me. Also, I didn't have high-flow on the B and never missed it, so I see no reason to cough up the extra dough for something I'll not use. Lastly, I think the auto Bob-Tach is kinda a novelty, but having 2 more hydraulic lines out at the end of the boom seems like more hydraulic fluid flush & fills down the road. It's not that hard to get out and flip the levers by hand when swapping implements. The local dealer only stocks Toolcats with every option so dropping anything meant a special order, which really was moot since he didn't have any in stock anyway.

The drive behavior is a little different between the two machines, the B can creep more accurately like say when I'm backing up to a fence and need to be +- 1 foot away. The new one tends to lurch and coast further, making the close work a bit nerve-wracking. I'll probably get used to the new one after a while and be better at close work.

New unit is significantly taller for cab entry and box floor height, part of this is the new turf tires are 29" versus the older turfs and R4 which are 27", but there's more to the height difference than just 1". It's very noticeable when climbing in and more so on the way out, I feel like I'm going to be tearing up the seat in short order.

So far I don't miss the bottom door windows, but I haven't done much close quarters work with it yet.

I was cleaning up a pasture for over an hour last weekend with the new G, I rarely use AC but instead open windows on both sides. I noticed the center console gets much warmer than the B ever did, I assume this is due to the change in engine placement and frame redesign between the two models. It was enough to make me consider running the AC when it was only 70's outside, but I bet I won't mind it as much in February when I'm clearing the driveway from the latest snow.

Last notable observation was the joy when I found the single wipe switch on the joystick, instead of having to turn wipers on then off again to clear a little rain you can just hit the little button and you get a single wipe. It's the little things.

20210724_153643.jpg

20211005_082438.jpg

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #2  
With the keyless start, a person can enable "password lockout feature" so you don't have to enter a password.

The big turfs also come with the wider fender lips.

To creep, I enter "work" mode and that seems to help some.

Enjoy your new Toolcat and keep us posted!

Last edited:
   / 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #3  
Congrats on the new machine. I look forward to your continuing review.

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #4  
I hope you ordered Traction Control.

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #5  
hope you enjoy your new machine, its night and day compared to my 2005 machine, agree dealer get stock loaded and went that way due to lead time, I also find it somewhat jumpy when moving slow but as someone stated try the work setting

regarding the lower windows, I miss them more when blowing snow, i could see how close the snow bank is to the machine, not sure if it is a option anymore

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #6  
Congrats!

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #8  
regarding the lower windows, I miss them more when blowing snow, i could see how close the snow bank is to the machine, not sure if it is a option anymore
Ageed, if/when I trade mine in I'll be swapping out the doors with my 2009 Series D. I use the lower window (especially on the passenger's side) all the time. I think it was a mistake for them to do away with them completely.

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #9  
Now you can add the steps: trivial question about the step kit

P4290050.JPG
P7240002.JPG

As mentioned in the thread, just order the step and bracket and save some money not paying for the hardware.

/ 2021 Toolcat comparison to 2004 Model B #10  
With the keyless start, a person can enable "password lockout feature" so you don't have to enter a password.
Thanks for posting this, I enabled it. (y)

Now I don't have to remove my glove to enter the code.