.22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
I was surprised to see this much .22 ammo in one place. I can't remember the last time I saw this. The photo shows just the CCI brand, there was almost as much Winchester to the left.
Notice the sign, A good idea if you ask me. I left with the first box of .22 ammo I have bought in at least 6 years.

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #2  
Around here it has gone from "zero" to "none." :(

Bruce

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #3  
Around here it has gone from "zero" to "none." :(

Bruce

It is more available now, BUT at the price they are asking they can keep it for a few years ,at least till I use up what I bought when it was reasonably priced.

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #4  
It is more available now, BUT at the price they are asking they can keep it for a few years ,at least till I use up what I bought when it was reasonably priced.

I understand inflation, but when I started shooting the going rate for .22s was about 1 cent a cartridge. The cheapest I have seen lately is about 7 cents each. Seems high to me.

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #5  
Couple weeks ago I bought two boxes of CCI 22LR Standard Velocity Target Load for $3.50 at Walmart. Actually I wasn't shopping for it, but just happened to pass the counter and inquired.
Cheers,
Mike

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #6  
Try centerfire cartridges...
243 Win. 36c per bullet. $1.20 per brass shell. 0.35 to 0.50C per primer. 24c worth of powder, IF you can find it.
6.5x284 50c per bullet, $1.20 per shell, 0.35 to 0.50c per primer and 27c worth of H100V powder.

If you try to buy that kind of ammo factory loaded you are typically looking at $2.80/shell and it would likely not be optimized for your rifle anyhow. This is high ballistic coefficient ammo loaded with the heaviest Berger bullets for the caliber.

Of course, generic 223 and 308 ammo is cheaper especially now that the ammo supply seems to be settling down.

For plinking, there has always been the 22 hornet. Provided one has brass, it can be loaded from mild to quite impressive velocity, takes just a tiny bit of powder. I just have the problem that our hunting regs forbid any kind of centerfire for night hunting, including the hornet.

So I am stuck with severe ammo shortages, less reliable ignition, inability to reload, poor ammo variety. All by LAW... I have also noted that it seems to be getting harder to get a quality rimfire rifle, especially in the 22mag. So far I have had a CZ and the most expensive stainless model Savage makes and they have both been worthless. Neither substantially better than 5-6moa at 100 yards. Given that every centerfire rifle I own will shoot 1/2moa or better, it is either the rifles or the ammo or both. Since reloading is out and supply is virtually non existent, I don't know what to think.

The Savage specifically is lacking quality in every part and concept, like buying a Fiat. NONE of the 4 magazines I got with the rifle worked. All had to be "adjusted" to fit the magazine well and the magazine guide bar better to the point that one could actually cycle ammo through it. The "bedding" concept is a complete joke. There is basically a bushing screwed into the front and back of the receiver and the bottom of those bushings is the only contact made between action and stock. The stock is so whittled away to allow the bushings, trigger mechanism, and magazine guide some room that is is about paper thin. Now I have entirely converted to Savage for my centerfire rifles since I can do all of the gunsmithing myself on barrel changes, but the rimfire rifles look like they were conceptualized in a basement in China.

Anyhow, I am sure I have waxed enough about my rimfire frustrations. Our overcomplicated hunting regs force you to go out and get a different weapon for what seems like every game species and season. Coyote hunting during the day - 243win. Coyote hunting at night - 22 mag. Early deer season - used to be shotgun, but now I can use a "pistol caliber rifle" in 44 mag. Late deer season - Muzzle loader. Turkey - smooth bore shotgun. Migratory game birds - shotgun which can only hold 3 rounds and using steel shot. etc etc etc. A turkey tag costs $20 for 1 bird. Seems hard to justify doing it.

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #7  
Robert,

Can't tell from the photo, but how many rounds are those boxes? Looks like 7.29 each for 100 rounds. I bought a couple of those boxes at Cabala's in Reno a couple months back. Walmart has been getting some stock in too, but the lurkers are snapping it up at 7AM whenever it shows up.

It's been a long dry spell!

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #8  
7.29 cents per round aint too bad these days.

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #9  
saw some at my local wal mart the other day.. I was there buying some cheap rounds to shoot through my new 9mm ,and saw several boxes of 22lr's seems like they were 7 ?? per box.. I already have about 8K rounds of the stuff, so I didn't buy any more..

I then left WM, and went to academy to but some 9mm Rounds.. saw plenty of boxes of 22 LR there

/ .22 Ammunitiion is slowly becomming more available #10  
ammo site called midway online has plenty in stock right now