220V Plused spray MIG welders?

/ 220V Plused spray MIG welders? #71  
Thats 250 or 300$ for a machine cost 50 in parts,,, not 60% and how long to acquire, build, finish and sell for 900, forgot some basic design and layout for the first unit.

/ 220V Plused spray MIG welders? #72  
No, not really. It is a side thing and an easy thing to cough up some extra cash. Here, you can sell them as homemade trailers, and customers can go and get their own license plate for it with an assigned VIN from the state. I live on a major road through our town, and have about 250- 275 feet of road frontage...not sure exactly, but that seems about right.

/ 220V Plused spray MIG welders?
As a follow-up I eventually circled around to what I originally was thinking about, namely purchasing a Miller Multimatic 255 and welding up my own 10", four-wheel, two-bottle, welding cart for it. That said, I ended up doing nothing because while waiting for a True Blue sales discount to come around, my pay loader blew a front tire the first time I fired it up this year and ordering in two new front tires more than ate-up my new welder funds. Been stepping on other rakes as well.

51101367186_d8dc941c20_k.jpg

The mobile tire guys are all backed up from servicing the pipeline equipment that has been idled but my new wienies should be installed next week.

51100379395_b5a3f3b910_k.jpg

Anyway, here is an example of the type of welding taking place in my garage which is basically limited to 3/8ths inch material and thinner right now. Fun little $900 job right here (there is more to it off camera).

/ 220V Plused spray MIG welders? #74  
Bust them down. Put them on. Read instructions for those type of wheels.

Bust them down. Put them on. Read instructions for those type of wheels.
Two tools I don't have for changing out this style of rim are a bead breaker as well as that funky Esco bead lock. I'm paying the mobile tire service $150 an hour to come and do it but the guys who do it for a living make it look easy. My wheels will require a shedload of wire wheeling.

/ 220V Plused spray MIG welders? #76  
Pulsed welding is a different animal all together, but once you get it, we’ll...I will just say it, it is better than sex!

it is not for better welds but rather to allow the welder to reduce the heat and thus distortion going into the base metal. It has a slower deposition rate over spray arcing mig, but you can control the heat so much better because you can manipulate the arc.

When I built the missile silos for Navy ships Navsea mandated pulse welding for all critical areas.

I have been welding for 32 years, but it took me awhile to really get good at pulsed mig, but I really like it. I am spray migging now, but I really should be pulse migging.

Made my first thing with my new Multimatic 255. I'm looking forward to making many more things now!

51301390326_9d5d057320_k.jpg

51302226280_b202075fe1_k.jpg

/ 220V Plused spray MIG welders? #78  
That's a lot of spatter for a pulse MIG. You might want to work on adjusting it out. It shouldn't do that. There should be nearly 0.

That's a lot of spatter for a pulse MIG. You might want to work on adjusting it out. It shouldn't do that. There should be nearly 0.
With this machine I did exactly two 2-inch test welds on a coupon before I went at this job to adjust the gas flow. One with the setting on 3/8", and one with the setting on 1/2" with an arc length of 50—I then went to town. Somewhere I decided to back off the arc length and wire speed a bit to the settings shown in the photo above. By the time I welded these two parts, I'd set down about fifteen, maybe sixteen total inches of weld. I didn't bother flap disking anything smooth because its for my own tractor and work-worky is my priority and paint cures faster when the parts are warm to hot. Anyway, yes, if I backed off on the arc length I'd likely have less splatter but for me, doing is practice.

51304955223_bf0f83720f_k.jpg

Last edited: