224ws square baler

/ 224ws square baler #1  

Jdhager87

Tractor
Kublota m6060
Info on replacing the auger feed belt. I was looking at it and I could not see any tensioner on it. So do you have to take one of the pulleys off to put new belt on?

/ 224ws square baler #2  
You're correct remove the 6 capscrews holding sheave halves together. Belt tension is achieved by removing/adding shims between sheave halves

/ 224ws square baler
And by any chance would you know the wire size that John Deere recommends for the baler?

/ 224ws square baler #4  
Baling wire for small sq balers built since the mid 1950's used baling wire that comes coiled in a cardboard box & it's 14-1/2 gauge in diameter. Several different brands are sold at Farm Supply business's & equipment dealers. One brand is shown in photo below.

Have you checked baler wire guides & rollers for grooves or stuck rollers? Baling wire isn't coated with as much oil as it was 40 or 50 yrs ago so back when I had a small JD sq baler after wire is installed in baler I always opened top of cardboard box & poured oil on the wire in the baler.

My small sq baler expertise is with JD sq balers. So if you have any questions feel free to ask me & I'll try to assist you. I suggest you get an extra bronze shear pin(E19994) item 3 in link below.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-01 063238.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-01 063238.png
    264.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
   / 224ws square baler
Thanks. Everything else seems to be working okay. I was just cleaning it up and saw that the auger belt was on its last leg so it needs replaced. Thanks for the info.

/ 224ws square baler #6  
Thanks. Everything else seems to be working okay. I was just cleaning it up and saw that the auger belt was on its last leg so it needs replaced. Thanks for the info.
Great to have another hay baler here. Stick around, post pictures. (y)
TxJim knows Deere balers better than anyone I’ve ever seen.

/ 224ws square baler #7  
Great to have another hay baler here. Stick around, post pictures. (y)
TxJim knows Deere balers better than anyone I’ve ever seen.
Thanks for compliment. I've been using JD balers a very, very long time & I've never sent my JD balers to dealership or had a technician out on service call for baler. I have been called in the past when dealer technician couldn't solve the balers problem.

/ 224ws square baler #8  
Brings back memories from a long time back, used a JD wire tie baler in the middle fifty's. Mostly used twine and at 14 ran a baler doing custom-work lined up by the farmer I worked for when a kid. Pulled by a JD G, baler was PTO driven.
Uncle at that time had an old wire-tie baler that two men road on the back each side of the discharge and hand fed wire through a wood block separator to the other side. Man on that side fed the two wires back to be tied (thread through the wire loop and wrapped around). Remember these two guys had heavy layers of hay dust covering them in short order.

/ 224ws square baler #9  
Thanks for compliment. I've been using JD balers a very, very long time & I've never sent my JD balers to dealership or had a technician out on service call for baler. I have been called in the past when dealer technician couldn't solve the balers problem.
Knotters and proper timing can be a real air puller outter as the knotting sequence is pretty fast. Everything has to be in the proper sequence and operate in exact timing or they will fail to tie.

If I'm not mistaken, John Deere has a very informative video explaining the knotters in great detail, not sure if it's a sold item or on YT or what but it's a very worthwhile item to have because all twine knotters (don't know anything about wire tie machines and don't claim to) operate the same, no matter who builds them.

/ 224ws square baler #10  
Brings back memories from a long time back, used a JD wire tie baler in the middle fifty's. Mostly used twine and at 14 ran a baler doing custom-work lined up by the farmer I worked for when a kid. Pulled by a JD G, baler was PTO driven.
Uncle at that time had an old wire-tie baler that two men road on the back each side of the discharge and hand fed wire through a wood block separator to the other side. Man on that side fed the two wires back to be tied (thread through the wire loop and wrapped around). Remember these two guys had heavy layers of hay dust covering them in short order.
My first memories of farming were as a teen in the 80’s, walking next to a flatbed lumber truck in low gear, picking bales up off the ground behind a JD336 and a IH ’66. They were standard twine.

30 years later, I owned a 336. Funny how things come full circle like that.

Probably ought to move this thread to haying?