2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide?

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #1  

C-Range

Advertiser
Tractor
Various
Whatever I get will have the wheel kit, but is a 5 ft rake too much for the little 2305? I'm also looking for direction on brand.

My land is very hilly with densely packed moist soil and lots of rocks and tree roots of varying sizes (probably obvious given the geography). I need the rake to repair the damage done by heavy rainstorms and subsequent running water as well as general grounds maintenance. For whatever it's worth, I already have a great 4ft box blade for the deeper stuff.

I listed this here instead of under Attachments because it's really more of a tractor capabilities question. Thanks

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #2  
You could easily pull a 5' or even a 6" rake, there is very little drag from a rake. You want to make sure your tracks are covered when it's angle, and the 5" will do that-doubt the 4" would...

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #3  
ensoll,

I use a 5' rake with my 2210 (almost identical to the 2305) and the size is a good match.

I have a FarmForce SC which is a sub-compact model similar to the XB line. It's not as strong as it needs to be. I've actually bent mine with my little 2210! If I were buying again I'd pay a little extra for a more heavily built unit. This is the only one I've ever used so I can't recommend what brand is better in this size.
The Sub compact stuff like the King Kutter XB and Farm Force SC is usually set on 20" pin spacing.This isn't a problem unless you use a quick hitch like I do. I had to modify my rake to fit the hitch.

I like the wheels, others don't. I personally wouldn't buy a rake without them.

Good luck in your search! I'm sure you'll enjoy having a rake. The only thing I have that gets used more is the loader!

Attachments

• Rake.jpg
    Rake.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 601
  • LR1.jpg
    LR1.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 472
   / 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide?
You want to make sure your tracks are covered when it's angle, and the 5" will do that-doubt the 4" would...

I hadn't thought of that. I'm glad I asked.

I was reading that rakes can fling rocks at you, or worse, the tractor. I can imagine getting a couple of tines hooked on a tree root and then 'pwang!' a rock or clump of dirt comes meteoring toward my head. Fact or exaggeration?

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #5  
You definitely need the wheels. But consider getting one with a scarfer and a blade. York rakes, and most likely others, have that.
And you need 5ft to cover your tire tracks.

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #6  
I have a 5 foot Woods rake for my 2305 - works awesome. Lanscaped my entire lot, clean fallen branches (small ones from willows), maintain 200 foot driveway, repair washed out areas. I owned a box scraper - I ended using the rake way more and sold the scraper. Woods is pretty pricey - but well worth it and well built.

And lastly - you do not need to worry about health insurance co-pay if you end up getting a 5 foot rake :).

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide?
   / 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #8  
I was reading that rakes can fling rocks at you, or worse, the tractor. I can imagine getting a couple of tines hooked on a tree root and then 'pwang!' a rock or clump of dirt comes meteoring toward my head. Fact or exaggeration?

Sure, can easily happen.

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #9  
Sure, can easily happen.

Well.... try to keep the raking to A range and below 540pto rpm's!!! :rolleyes:

Whenever I use my York in C range and 2,400 rpm my dog bark's at me and my wife screams that we'll have to replace the front picture window... again!! :eek:

Kidding... I just putt, putt with the rake. Things happen too fast and making adjustments to keep the tines from scalping and gouging, etc.; I don't normally do alot of work above 1,300-1,400rpm and A range. So, the rock, root danger isn't that much of an issue - IMO.

Kenny's suggestion to go wider is a good one - tire tracks in your seed bed or ground prep isn't what you want.

AKfish

/ 2305 adding a landscape rake 4ft or 5ft wide? #10  
My rake doesn't have wheels and may require a little more fiddling with the 3ph raise/lower knob but seems to work just fine except for stuff getting hung between the tines which would not make much difference wheels or no wheels.

Often dropping it full down and backing up will clear it, otherwise hop down and do it manually with a hammer or stick. My biggest complaint is that it fills up too fast but that is because it works so well and I have so much debris to clear, not a fault of the rake.

The pix of the red implement shows a nice piece of equipment. Mine is a cheapy King Kutter but it works.

I think bigger is better within reason as there is not much power required to pull a rake. I wish my 6 footer was a 10.

Pat