Buying Advice 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner

/ 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner #1  

Kingsqueak

Bronze Member
Tractor
Husqvarna TS-354X Massey Ferguson 2607h
Background: I'm utterly and completely green to farm tractors. I've run contracting equipment from time to time, loader backhoes, track steers and mini excavators and if I have 100 hours on them it's a lot. I have zero hours on farm tractors.

Property: Wooded, fairly hilly, rocky, New England property

Tasks: Running a grapple to clear underbrush, trails, pop rocks occasionally, move logs, skid the cuttings, snow removal, driveway and general land grooming and maintenance. I will have small garden beds but not out working fields of crops.

I won't be making money with this tractor, it's for property maintenance and frankly almost hobby use, the property itself was bought for something to do in many ways.

I am sighted in on the 2607 for a few reasons

• Cost and value for the weight and horsepower
  • Weight and strength of the loader
  • No need for fancier features
  • I want an open station due to working in the trees and tighter spaces, also fitting the folded ROPS into a car sized garage bay opening.
  • I want sufficient weight and power so I am not beating it when I have heavier jobs to do
  • The overall physical size is just on the edge of the biggest for the size trails I want to make and general site conditions

The base list of attachments I'm considering for my uses so far is

• Materials bucket - general scooping and grading work
  • Heavy root grapple - clearing trails, moving brush, log work
  • Landscape rake - general soil cleanup, finishing, seeding, brush, driveway grooming
  • Undecided cutter - flail likely
  • Pallet forks
  • Forestry chains - mostly for the ice and snow.

I've recently been using a Bobcat T550 and it has enough power for the jobs I need to do, but it's too heavy a tool for the lighter work. Attachments are very expensive and my budget allows for only a used track steer and I don't have the mechanical background to risk all the mechanical work a used piece of construction equipment would risk. This is how I landed on a tractor vs a track steer. I think the tractor is more versatile for my needs.

There are not a lot of posts of owners of the newer 2600h series, curious what people know about them and any general advice.

/ 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner #2  
Background: I'm utterly and completely green to farm tractors. I've run contracting equipment from time to time, loader backhoes, track steers and mini excavators and if I have 100 hours on them it's a lot. I have zero hours on farm tractors.

Property: Wooded, fairly hilly, rocky, New England property

Tasks: Running a grapple to clear underbrush, trails, pop rocks occasionally, move logs, skid the cuttings, snow removal, driveway and general land grooming and maintenance. I will have small garden beds but not out working fields of crops.

I won't be making money with this tractor, it's for property maintenance and frankly almost hobby use, the property itself was bought for something to do in many ways.

I am sighted in on the 2607 for a few reasons

• Cost and value for the weight and horsepower
  • Weight and strength of the loader
  • No need for fancier features
  • I want an open station due to working in the trees and tighter spaces, also fitting the folded ROPS into a car sized garage bay opening.
  • I want sufficient weight and power so I am not beating it when I have heavier jobs to do
  • The overall physical size is just on the edge of the biggest for the size trails I want to make and general site conditions

The base list of attachments I'm considering for my uses so far is

• Materials bucket - general scooping and grading work
  • Heavy root grapple - clearing trails, moving brush, log work
  • Landscape rake - general soil cleanup, finishing, seeding, brush, driveway grooming
  • Undecided cutter - flail likely
  • Pallet forks
  • Forestry chains - mostly for the ice and snow.

I've recently been using a Bobcat T550 and it has enough power for the jobs I need to do, but it's too heavy a tool for the lighter work. Attachments are very expensive and my budget allows for only a used track steer and I don't have the mechanical background to risk all the mechanical work a used piece of construction equipment would risk. This is how I landed on a tractor vs a track steer. I think the tractor is more versatile for my needs.

There are not a lot of posts of owners of the newer 2600h series, curious what people know about them and any general advice.
You're right in many ways. It's a good bang for your buck.

I have a customer that pulls a 14 foot disc harrow with it. He said "that's all it wants, but she'll do it!" The land is flat where we are. It's not going to pull that uphill.

We have another guy with one and he cuts lots of hay. He doesn't need 4wd to move round bales most places.

The tires on both of these machines are liquid ballasted 75%. No weights. You will need an antifreezing agent added due to you being up North.

It would be wise to put an oil filter protector like the one in this picture. 9650~2.jpg

Last edited:
   / 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner
Thanks, it's overkill in many ways until it comes down to the size of the objects that I will encounter to lift or push. I hope it will be enough and make the need for rental equipment less frequent.

The oil filter armor is interesting will have to eyeball it more closely. I already have my eye on making an armored brush grill guard modification maybe even with some wings on it and the plastic fuel tank location, will have to put some time in and see, but for woods work, I wonder if making a brush guard for that might not be a bad idea.

Also, I'm definitely going with 4WD due to the terrain and snow removal work.

/ 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner #4  
I have the 2605h in 4 wheel drive. I cannot agree more on the weight, power and ability of the tractor. I love mine, with the exception of the hydraulic pump and loader valve. After much round and round with the dealer, I was able to talk to a district service manager with AGCO. Seems the hydraulic pump is a bit small for the loader, a 911X on mine. Unless you run the engine at 1700 or more RPM's when using the loader, you will find the pump cannot supply the cylinders with fluid as fast as they drain. This will leave you with a floppy bucket, and the loader arms will tend to bounce when traveling at anything more than a fast walk. As for traveling over rough ground, have a hand on the loader valve, that long valve will also bounce all over the place causing uncommanded (by you!) loader movements.

I have found that if, when using the loader, set the hand throttle to 1700+ RPM's, and keep a hand on the loader valve traveling over rough ground, all is well.

On the plus side, just about everything else. The 3 point with the extendable links and adjustable stabilizer bars, the swinging draw bar are usually found on more expensive tractors. The 3 point arms attach forward of the rear axle to keep the front end down with ground engaging implements. Planetary gears..., face it, that thing has a beautiful rear end, for a tractor. The short frame aspect is what appealed to me at first, cleaning out barns is one of its duties. Nice to be able to maneuver in a tight spot. Access to things like the battery, filters and fill points is exceptional.

All in all, if I had to do it all over again, even with the hydraulic pump issue. I would buy the same tractor. JD will cost you another 10K for the same features and Kubota, well, they just don't put enough cast iron in them for my liking. Their machines are just too light.

One last point, if you're tall, this is the tractor for you. The way the operators seat moves up and back, you have leg room. I'm 6'4", almost every other tractor I tried, I had a hard time using the clutch. While puttering around in their parking lot, I could use it. But after a day in the field, I would wish I had never bought it.

Great tips and info. I'm used to really ragged old construction equipment that needs the revs up for decent hydraulic function so that won't bother me much to up the revs a bit. Yeah I'm a bit taller than you and I did notice it fits better than other models. I figure we make it look normal in pics, some of the marketing photos make them seem massive with smaller operators on them.

Thanks.

/ 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner #6  
Great tips and info. I'm used to really ragged old construction equipment that needs the revs up for decent hydraulic function so that won't bother me much to up the revs a bit. Yeah I'm a bit taller than you and I did notice it fits better than other models. I figure we make it look normal in pics, some of the marketing photos make them seem massive with smaller operators on them.

Thanks.
Little guys like to push the seat back too!

/ 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner #8  
Hello Kingsqueak, I see you have "hilly" in your property description. I recommend you have the dealer set the wheels wide for greater stability. It will make a big difference in tractor "feel" and your confidence.

Yup thanks, on the list.

/ 2607h feedback and advice for prospective new owner #10  
Very simple and reliable tractor - you will be happy with your choice.