273 Tie-rod rubber boot replacement

/ 273 Tie-rod rubber boot replacement #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi all, I sent out a private message (to a several years old thread I found in search) to ask how this was actually done, but the person I sent it to (Bkjohns) hasn't been on TBN for quite a while and I don't know if he's still with us anymore. I do hope he's a-okay.

I had a few questions about the actual replacement of these boots. I've never done it before; I know I can do the job but it's always helpful to get advice from someone who's been there & done that! So If there's anyone out there who's actually done this - will you please share the procedure? I'd like to not waste time doing something that doesn't need being done. My manual says nothing about this procedure. Parts and service just show the front end and discuss everything but the rubber boots.

It doesn't appear as if the tie rod will come "completely" out of the knuckle "without" removing the steering arm? It looks as if it might even bend the rod if the arm isn't at least loosened? Would you explain to me the procedure that you used?

I am mechanically inclined, have or can get the tools needed to do this - but a step-by-step explanation of the process would help me not waste time on items I might not have to do otherwise. Nor do I want to end up messing my toe-in up either! I'd sure appreciate it and thanks in advance! Greg

/ 273 Tie-rod rubber boot replacement
Hi all, I sent out a private message (to a several years old thread I found in search) to ask how this was actually done, but the person I sent it to (Bkjohns) hasn't been on TBN for quite a while and I don't know if he's still with us anymore. I do hope he's a-okay.

I had a few questions about the actual replacement of these boots. I've never done it before; I know I can do the job but it's always helpful to get advice from someone who's been there & done that! So If there's anyone out there who's actually done this - will you please share the procedure? I'd like to not waste time doing something that doesn't need being done. My manual says nothing about this procedure. Parts and service just show the front end and discuss everything but the rubber boots.

It doesn't appear as if the tie rod will come "completely" out of the knuckle "without" removing the steering arm? It looks as if it might even bend the rod if the arm isn't at least loosened? Would you explain to me the procedure that you used?

I am mechanically inclined, have or can get the tools needed to do this - but a step-by-step explanation of the process would help me not waste time on items I might not have to do otherwise. Nor do I want to end up messing my toe-in up either! I'd sure appreciate it and thanks in advance! Greg
Okay, 91 views and no factual replies....I guess no one's done this job before. So I just finished doing it. You need jack the front completely off the floor (both wheels). I had jack-stands in place underneath the axel but left my floor jack holding it up (worked fine).
My fears about the steering arm assembly needing be loosened from the axel were "unfounded" - both manuals I have only show the disassembly of all that stuff.
Leaving the nut covering threads and bolt head; smack the end a couple of times with a BFH and rods are loose. With the wheels off, you have enough slack to turn the steering wheel fully left to right and find the "sweet" spot where the tie-rods will actually come out of the knuckle.
I did my right hand side first as that side also needed the boot covering the yoke on the steering arm itself. Since that was my first time doing it, it took a bit longer as I was learning as I went. Left side tie-rod boot only took about 20-30 minutes to replace. Just count the threads from rod head to where it stops at the nut on the arm (again, both sides) and put them back the same amount. Should be at the same toe-in level as before.
The hardest actual part of this job for me was getting the spring-tensioned boot holders off/on and in the correct position. All done and nice new boots to hold in the grease!
Don't "over-think" this job as I did! It's actually an easy-peasy job once you get to it. Thank the Gods that I didn't need to loosen the steering assembly! That entails hood off, battery and box out, probably oil cooler and radiator removed, just to gain access to the 2 steering arm hoses that need be uncoupled from the steering arm assembly. For that amount of disassembly I'd just have left the boots wrapped in tape as I had them for the last several years!
All my catch up repairs are done for now - until I break something else and begin my learning cycle all over. Hope this tidbit of info helps someone else out. This was one of those times where actually reading the manuals just added to the delay/confusion of a somewhat simple repair. Don't "over-think" -- just dive in and get-er-done!
Greg

/ 273 Tie-rod rubber boot replacement #3  
I'm glad it worked out for you.

/ 273 Tie-rod rubber boot replacement
Thanks joeyd, I posted this repair because I'd never done it before and couldn't find where anyone else had done it or posted any of the steps. I now realize that that's probably because everyone else has done this at some time and it was actually so easy to do that no explanations were thought necessary. Over-thinker that I am, I find it somewhat comforting when I do some repair I've never done and can read about someone who's actually already done it. Greg