2810 clutch issues.

/ 2810 clutch issues.
We are in the mountains of the inland Northwest (Idaho). Salt on the roads but this tractor has never been out on the roads.

Now here is something that is a bit peculiar...🤔
This is a photo of the drive gear for the main hydraulic pump. About six years ago, this drive gear stripped out it's spline. The pump shaft was ok, but the drive gear stripped its spline.
The folks at Branson said this was indeed a problem on some of the units and attributed it to the fact that there is no lubrication in this part of the engine. After reading up on "fretting" I would say this gear was a victim of the same thing. It was not an easy repair, as the front cover of the engine needed to be removed (after numerous other layers 😜) to access and replace the gear. I will be pulling the pump off and checking it and adding "spline grease" to it while it's all down.
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 8.59.54 PM.png

/ 2810 clutch issues. #12  
We are in the mountains of the inland Northwest (Idaho). Salt on the roads but this tractor has never been out on the roads.

Now here is something that is a bit peculiar...🤔
This is a photo of the drive gear for the main hydraulic pump. About six years ago, this drive gear stripped out it's spline. The pump shaft was ok, but the drive gear stripped its spline.
The folks at Branson said this was indeed a problem on some of the units and attributed it to the fact that there is no lubrication in this part of the engine. After reading up on "fretting" I would say this gear was a victim of the same thing. It was not an easy repair, as the front cover of the engine needed to be removed (after numerous other layers 😜) to access and replace the gear. I will be pulling the pump off and checking it and adding "spline grease" to it while it's all down.
View attachment 759231
I went through the exact same failure on my 3510, I had enough damage to the pump shaft that I didn’t feel like I could just replace the gear.

Attachments

• F93CA30A-999D-4E0C-BC6B-DBADC379E479.jpeg
    F93CA30A-999D-4E0C-BC6B-DBADC379E479.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 95
   / 2810 clutch issues. #13  
Reading this makes me wonder if I should pull the pump on my 2400H and look at splines as preventative maintenance. A little elbow grease is cheaper than new parts.

/ 2810 clutch issues. #14  
Reading this makes me wonder if I should pull the pump on my 2400H and look at splines as preventative maintenance. A little elbow grease is cheaper than new parts.
Same here. I even have to pull the suction pipe completely out to fix my mishap, so may very well take full advantage of that. May also do the same on the splines for the 4WD shaft.

/ 2810 clutch issues. #15  
Same here. I even have to pull the suction pipe completely out to fix my mishap, so may very well take full advantage of that. May also do the same on the splines for the 4WD shaft.
I never even thought about 4 WD shaft but that is another rather easy item to inspect.

/ 2810 clutch issues. #16  
When mine failed, the pump would not come out. I tried everything I could think of, even driving wooden wedges between pump/housing. I damaged the housing finally getting it out, luckily the housing was cheap. The remaining splines were out of alignment, had I known maybe I could have rotated the pump. The very edge of the drive gear had enough teeth left to cause the hang up. As 6shotz mentioned, it is a pretty involved job replacing that gear. i really don’t know why it failed, maybe there’s something to it not getting lube, mine definitely showed rust inside the gear.

Mike

/ 2810 clutch issues.
Upon closer inspection of the transmission main output shaft, there is wear showing on the spline teeth. I believe replacing the shaft will be necessary, otherwise it will surely fail again in the near term. 🙁 Yikes...that job seems a bit overwhelming. (anybody out there been inside one of these transmissions?)
The alternative to making the repair is that I am the proud owner of a big red boat anchor. 🥲 ...that's really not an option.
Branson only wants $700.00 for the main shaft and $654.00 for the clutch disc!!! 😄

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 8.17.46 PM.png

/ 2810 clutch issues. #18  
Been a while since I've been into one of those. Had a few that had to have the snychros replaced on the shuttle years ago. Don't remember anything out of the ordinary. Bransons part prices are getting out of hand for sure. Can't say I've ever had to replace the main input shaft into the transmission though.

/ 2810 clutch issues.
Been a while since I've been into one of those. Had a few that had to have the snychros replaced on the shuttle years ago. Don't remember anything out of the ordinary. Bransons part prices are getting out of hand for sure. Can't say I've ever had to replace the main input shaft into the transmission though.
Did you have to separate the transmission from the rear section of the case?

/ 2810 clutch issues. #20  
Did you have to separate the transmission from the rear section of the case?
Not to replace the input shaft. Disassemble the obvious stuff at the front of the case. Pull the transmission cover off the top. Couple of snap rings to get loose. Remove from the front catching the bearing and gears as it comes out. 10-20 Series service manual.pdf . that link should go straight to the service manual for this one. Ignore the picture on the thumbnail. It's incorrect.