Oil & Fuel 2910 fuel tank

/ 2910 fuel tank #1  

dullpain

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kioti CK4010SE HST, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.
Took delivery of a B2910 5 weeks ago. Tooled around the place slow and easy till I got 12 hours on her. Never used the mower. Under 1700 RPM. 2 weeks ago mowed the lawn first time. About half way thru (1.5 hrs) Engine just choked down and quit. Gave it a few minutes after looking about and it started right up and finished the rest of mowing without incident. Last weekend went to mow still taking it fairly easy at about 2000 RPM. Choked down again, & again, & again. I'm puzzeld?? Acted just like it ran out of fuel and it was. Fuel filter very dirty but not clogged. I was amazed about this on a new tractor. Changed fuel filter, Drained Fuel Tank and inspected Tank. Found several insect wings intact, Grit ,Grime, Paint chips, 1 large well preserved dead spider, 3 each curly cue plastic shavings like when you drill a hole in plastic. One of the plastic drill shavings had worked it's way into the fuel line at the tank exit. Got it all out and seems to be fine now. Still kinda amazed that it happened. Think that is all that was wrong. At 17 hrs now and going to mow today. Will let you know if not OK.

Wednesday Apr 24 - All OK now - anybody else have this trouble??

/ 2910 fuel tank #2  
Were you mowing at less than 540 PTO RPM?

If so, why would you mow at 1700 or 2000 RPM?

/ 2910 fuel tank #3  
McCallum
<font color=blue>Found several insect wings intact, Grit, Grime, Paint chips, 1 large well preserved dead spider, 3 each curly cue plastic shavings like when you drill a hole in plastic. One of the plastic drill shavings had worked its way into the fuel line at the tank exit.</font color=blue>

Wow! That’s a lot of junk in one tank. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif I haven’t changed the fuel filter on my 2910 yet. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif It will be 2 years old in a couple of weeks. Maybe I had better do some preventive maintenance in this area. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 2910 fuel tank #4  
Some time back, I posted <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=48734&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=rbargeron&Match=Username&Searchpage=13&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=48734>here</A> about the same kind of fuel starvation - caused by debris in the tank at the outlet. It was made worse by the fact that there was a vent line T'd into the supply line and connected high on the tank. While this vent helps get the air out after running out of fuel, it also makes the system much more sensitive to any flow restrictors (junk) in the tank outlet - the pump just pulls air instead. I cleaned out the tank - but also plugged the vent. Runs fine now.

/ 2910 fuel tank
MrP - Yes mowed at less than 540 pto speed . Grass light, New tractor, trying to take it easy till I got a few hours on it.

/ 2910 fuel tank #6  
I would think it would be worse to run the mower at low RPM than to run at correct speed. My mower takes a lot of power to run. If I ran it at 1700 rpm, I'm sure I could choke the trator to stall if I was full speed in High rang and going up a hill.

You probably don't want to run the tractor WO for the first 50 hours or so, but the RPM to achieve 540 pto should not be anywhere near WO.

/ 2910 fuel tank #7  
I have the 72" deck on mine and have mowed at various RPM's between 1800 and 2200 during the break-in period as per the owners manual. I <font color=red>DON'T</font color=red> let mine lug down or give it the slightest chance to strain. Kubota suggests doing that for the first fifty hours I believe.

/ 2910 fuel tank #8  
I'll have to go back and check my manual. However, I was pretty sure it said not to run WO for the first 50 hours.