3 months and a little progress

/ 3 months and a little progress #1  

M5farms

Platinum Member
Tractor
jd 2630 - NH TL100A-35 ferg-53 ford backhoe
on recovery from Hurricane Michael. My community is slowing trying to get back to life but it will be years before everything is fixed and will never be what it was.

All my barns were destroyed. I picked up a 32x60 at our local truss plant because thats all he had on the yard and didnt want to wait 4 to 6 more weeks.

4 of us got everything set in 12 hrs over 2 days .

1 barn.jpg

Last weekend it took 3 of us 4 hours to finish.
32x60x14

2 barn.jpg

salvaged so old wood from the barns to do gable ends

3 barn.jpg

took about 4 weeks for the leans to get made .

4 barn.jpg

5 barn.jpg

only took 6 hours to install the leans . I am very pleased with it and will pour a couple bays to build a tool room and have a surface to work on something . The rest will get asphalt milling in time .

6 barn.jpg

/ 3 months and a little progress #2  
Sorry for your loss but great pictures of some recovery. What size of a barn were you wanting to put up?

/ 3 months and a little progress
Sorry for your loss but great pictures of some recovery. What size of a barn were you wanting to put up?

wanted a 50x60 with 15'leans . I have one 50x60 that I lost 2 trusses and have to replace the metal on already that serves as a hay barn and equipment storage . 50 wide allows for 6 rows of hay 3 high and still have plenty of room on one side. This one barn replaced 2 that were completely torn down. one was 40 x 50 other was 30x80 .

FWIW check your insurance policy on buildings . I thought I had 14500 on each one and if each one had of been destroyed and separate times I would have gotten fairly compensated. but because of the cap limit I only received 14500 total for the barns . I had 60k disallowed , not covered. That is one reason I built it myself . Once I pour the 2 bays and wall up one bay I will have 10k in this barn. Excluding my labor . I paid my help 15 an hour. the trusses ,purlins and new metal for other barn will be just over 4k so I am real close to budget on them.

/ 3 months and a little progress #4  
Nice building.

/ 3 months and a little progress #5  
The totally useless media has forgotten all about the storm now. No follow up stories about progress.

The totally useless media has forgotten all about the storm now. No follow up stories about progress.

Not just the media. I work in Dothan and most folks there unless they have some damage wouldn'tt give 2 shyts what's going on 30 min south.

/ 3 months and a little progress #7  
Not just the media. I work in Dothan and most folks there unless they have some damage wouldn'tt give 2 shyts what's going on 30 min south.

That always seems to be the case. If people are not impacted, they don't care.

/ 3 months and a little progress #8  
Know were pulling for you folks and better days ahead.

/ 3 months and a little progress #9  

Wife and I had been looking to buy a small home in the area of mexico beach, port st. Joe, wewahitchka area. The week between xmas and new year we went down and stayed in PCB. While there we drove through all those areas. The media films do not even begin to show the immense amount of damage and how large the area is that was impacted. It will take years to remove all the debris and decades to rebuild what was destroyed. Like you said it will never be the same.

Its very disheartening to see everything destroyed everywhere you go . We were blessed in comparison to some but it takes a mental toll on everyone. With everything I have gotten accomplished it is dwarfed by things not done .