3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons?

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
My question is, If I buy a splitter for my L2950 how many tons of pressure will it produce ?
And do they sell one with a split wood tray that catches the wood before it falls to the ground?
I have posted some questions about splitters in the past but could not find them. I had decided pretty much to buy a gasoline powered unit .Based on somthing I had read in one of my question responces about the tractor not producing as much tonage as a gasoline powered unit and it inherintely being slower to cycle.
We own a 27 ton but shared owenship is just not working out. So my next purchase will be a splitter of some type. The 27 ton works pretty well as far as power goes.Thanks for your opinion. Jeff

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #2  
My question is, If I buy a splitter for my L2950 how many tons of pressure will it produce ?

That is a simple function of the diameter of the cylinder on the splitter, and the PSI your tractor produces.

Typical tractor pressure is ~2400 psi, and with a 4" cylinder that would be ~30,000lbs......15 ton

this calculator is helpful Hydraulic Cylinder Calculator

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #3  
Re:LD1 Thanks for the info. I just added that to my Favorites bar.:thumbsup:

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #4  
And do they sell one with a split wood tray that catches the wood before it falls to the ground?
I have posted some questions about splitters in the past but could not find them. I had decided pretty much to buy a gasoline powered unit .Based on somthing I had read in one of my question responces about the tractor not producing as much tonage as a gasoline powered unit and it inherintely being slower to cycle.
We own a 27 ton but shared owenship is just not working out. So my next purchase will be a splitter of some type. The 27 ton works pretty well as far as power goes.Thanks for your opinion. Jeff

How many GPM do you have?? We own a Wallenstein WX310, and it has been great. Started out on an MF 1523, with 5.4GPM at the remotes. Now on a MF 1635 with 11.6 GPM, only real difference is a little faster, and a little more 'Pop'

Yes, they do have the tray, so the logs do not hit your feet. But if they are big, you can still handle them before they hit the ground.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #5  
There are two types of 3pt log splitters: those that run off of the tractor hydraulics, and those that have their own hydraulics that run off of the pto. Obviously the later is more expensive because it has it's own pump and tank. But it's not limited by the tractor hydraulic lines available.

I have had a gas powered 22t Huskee trailer type of splitter. It's done a good job but after being to the repair shop twice this year and having died again, I'm giving up on it. I have a 3pt PTO splitter on order that should be here in the next couple of days.

I see a couple of advantages to the 3pt splitters:

-- Obviously it's one less engine to maintain or have problems :thumbsup:

-- Unlike the typical gas splitter where the wedge is mounted on the ram, a splitter with the ram pushing against the wedge should be better at finishing a split. Often when the wedge is on the ram, a big piece doesn't split all the way, has to be freed up and flipped over to finish from the other end. With a splitter where it pushes against a fixed wedge, I assume I can just put in the next log and let it push the first one completely through.

-- With pushing against the fixed wedge and no axle and wheels underneath, I should be able to position the 3pt splitter over the wood box or trailer and the split wood will fall right onto the trailer without having to pick it up off the ground.

I'll soon see if my theories are right ;-)

Ken

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #6  
I have had a gas powered 22t Huskee trailer type of splitter. It's done a good job but after being to the repair shop twice this year and having died again, I'm giving up on it. I have a 3pt PTO splitter on order that should be here in the next couple of days.

Ken

We have had no problems in 10 years with our speeco/huskee 27T splitter.

What are the issues you have been having?

Splitter itself, or motor issues? If motor, what motor is on it?

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #7  
What are the issues you have been having?

Splitter itself, or motor issues? If motor, what motor is on it?

It's a B&S engine.

This spring, it wouldn't start run for more than a few seconds. Turned out to be water in the carb. A week later, I found that the gas tank was cracked (probably the source of the water?). Old age? Ethanol?

A couple of weeks ago, it started and split a couple of pieces before it loaded down and died. Now it's extremely hard to pull the starter rope. Could be the engine, or the pump is binding up, or the pressure relief valve is stuck...or something else. Whichever it is, it probably won't be cheap and I'll have put at least 50% of the purchase price into repairs this year if I get it fixed. At that point I wonder what will be next....

Ken

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #8  
It almost sounds like what ours does, but not quite.

In the winter, when it is cold, you have to pump the primer bulb several times (8-10) and then she will start. After that, it will only run for about 2 seconds and then die.......unless you pump the primer a few more times, then it will run a few more seconds and start to die.....hit the primer a few more times.....so on and so on. Takes about 6 times before it will run on its own.

Just chalked it up to the nature of the beast:confused: Been that way since nearly new. A couple of years ago, the gas tank also developed a crack. But only does it when over half full. So we always store it with almost no gas.:thumbsup:

This is the briggs 6.5HP vanguard that is on ours.

What are your plans with the splitter now? May just need a $200 motor and be good:confused:

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons? #9  
What are your plans with the splitter now? May just need a $200 motor and be good

Yeah but $200 on top of the $200 I already spent on it this year....what's next? Actually the way it died, I suspect it's not the motor.

When I get time, I plan to try to figure out what's wrong with it. If it's the engine or pump, I may do the hoses directly to the tractor hydraulics and use it that way. If it's the relief valve or operating valve and those are expensive, I probably won't put more money into it.

Ken

/ 3 pt hitch wood splitter how many tons?
So if you have one with a pto pump of it own will it produce more tons than one without that just runs from my 30 hp tractor ? and would it have a faster cycle time?