300 CX FEL not detaching

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching #1  

Wesdor

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I decided to remove the FEL from my 4310 today. Everyone has told me it was about a 1 minute job. Well, after about 30 minutes - it never came off completely and I had a bit of trouble even getting it back on.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong.

Here is a link to the instructions I followed:

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW52222_19/

I followed the instructions and rotated the bucket, then lifted the front wheels off the ground to disengage the latch handle. I moved the latch handle up as directed and then proceeded to extend the lift cylinders. The Parking stand moved to the concrete just as I expected.

However, the mast never moved off the mounting frame. Eventually the bucket began to go up.

I hope that gives you an idea of what happened. Hopefully, someone can tell me what step I did wrong so I can get the Loader off.

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching
2 handles - one on each side of the loader.

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching #4  
Neither mast lifted? Or tried to lift off?

I think one (or both) of the latches are stuck. Follow the linkages down from the masts to the latches on both sides to ensure everything is connected.

If possible, have someone watch as you try to remove the loader. Best bet, have a service tech (from the dealer) observe. Look for the latches on both sides releasing.
Something is binding or not releasing. This could have been an assembly or installation problem when the loader was attached to the tractor.

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching #5  
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but, did you lower the tractor back down to the ground? I did this once, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong. Duh! :eek:

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching #6  
The instruction say "release parking brake and/or put it in neutral". Did you only do one of these? You need to do both so the machine can roll out of the loader brackets. If the machine doesn't roll, then the loader needs room to slide forward across the ground. Setting it up against a wall or tree won't work! (Of course, you should do this on flat ground...)

Thanks everyone. Roy, I think you may have the answer - this was installed incorrectly. Actually, there were two of us working on this and we tried to pry to left side up with a crowbar. It finally came up - probably enough - but the right side wouldn't budge. It looked to us like both latches stayed up in the release position.

I have a machine shed with concrete floor. We put the bucket at least 3 feet from one of the supports and it did have plenty of room to move.

All very good suggestions, but unfortunately, we did all of them so far.

Hope my descriptions provide somebody with the clue that figures this out.

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching #8  
Wesdor said:
Thanks everyone. Roy, I think you may have the answer - this was installed incorrectly.

Hope my descriptions provide somebody with the clue that figures this out.

Did you install the loader or the dealer? If the dealer, I'd suggest you get them involved before there's damage to the tractor, loader or personal injury.

/ 300 CX FEL not detaching #9  
You did loosen up the parking latch capscrew stay & cap screw back far enough to clear everything?

Mine has come off hard before after a lot of heavy groundwork--but always came off... check your loader masts to see if your loader may have been wedged up against the outside of one of them (paint on the face "mashed" & scraped off)... being off to one side or the other a bit may have torqued it up against the face

Hope it was just a fluke!

Once again, I think Roy has the best advice - get the dealer involved.

They installed it, so I know I didn't do anything wrong (at least in the installation). It has been on for 2 years and has a lot of work on it, so perhaps there is something that is wedged, but I don't think so.

I was hoping that somebody could give me an easy fix - something I had just overlooked, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks again to all