3016 rattling sound when key is on.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I've had my 3016 for a couple of weeks now and when I bought it, my hearing aids were in the shop getting fixed. Well, I got them back yesterday and I'm hearing things I didn't before.

When I turn on the 'ignition' switch to the glow plug setting, I hear a faint rattling sound. Sounds like it's on the right side of the engine, just on the other side of the firewall. I figured it must be the fuel pump, but I've never heard a fuel pump run for more that a few seconds until it builds up the proper pressure...in a car, at least it's that way. It does this until I start it or for ever how long I leave the switch in the glow position. I let it 'rattle' in the glow position for about 45 seconds before I shut the key off. If I start the engine, then of course I can't hear the rattle over the engine noise...if it's there at all.

I'm making an assumption that a diesel would do the same..pump until the pressure is up and stop. Perhaps I'm wrong, as this is my first diesel and I'm still learning...a lot.

Can someone tell me if this rattling sound is normal and if not, what could it be?

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #2  
fuel pump?
just quick glance at google on your tractor. doesn't seem like any fance pantsy extra electronics.
was going to say if cab, maybe ya got wind shield wipper on, and something is messed up with it.
fuel injector clacking away / controller is bad?
relay switch? were is your fuses / relays located? (turn signal relays?)
is there a "flashers" button? like in cars/trucks to cause all the turn single lights to flash, relay's for them possibly?
do you have a tow package, installed aka (4 plug or more plug on rear) to hook up a trailer behind you and have the lights work on it? those relays maybe?

worst it could be i suppose is you have a shorted out wire (bloody mice/varmints) and you are hearing shocking of something?

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #3  
I've got a 3616 and it does the same thing. I always thought it was the fuel pump as well. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #4  
My 2516 did the same thing, it had glow plugs and I assumed it was them heating up? My 4025 doesn't have glow plugs and there is no clicking when I turn the key to on when heating up the intake element.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #5  
I've had my 3016 for a couple of weeks now and when I bought it, my hearing aids were in the shop getting fixed. Well, I got them back yesterday and I'm hearing things I didn't before.

When I turn on the 'ignition' switch to the glow plug setting, I hear a faint rattling sound. Sounds like it's on the right side of the engine, just on the other side of the firewall. I figured it must be the fuel pump, but I've never heard a fuel pump run for more that a few seconds until it builds up the proper pressure...in a car, at least it's that way. It does this until I start it or for ever how long I leave the switch in the glow position. I let it 'rattle' in the glow position for about 45 seconds before I shut the key off. If I start the engine, then of course I can't hear the rattle over the engine noise...if it's there at all.

I'm making an assumption that a diesel would do the same..pump until the pressure is up and stop. Perhaps I'm wrong, as this is my first diesel and I'm still learning...a lot.

Can someone tell me if this rattling sound is normal and if not, what could it be?

By "rattling" do you mean "clicking"? If that is the case you're hearing the glow plug relay. I wouldn't keep the key on at shut down in the glow position at all as you may burn out the relay.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on.
It sounds like a couple of bb's bouncing around.

I suspected it had something to do with the plugs. I only ran the clicking for more than the time it took to let the light go out, once. It's a very faint sound.

My hearing loss without aids is not debilitating but I can't hear it unless I have my aids in....then I do have super hearing. I swear I could hear a mouse living in my barn pass gas with these hearing aids.

Perhaps it's not even hearable with normal ears. I'll get someone else to listen to it and try not to worry about it unless it gets really loud.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #7  
It sounds like a couple of bb's bouncing around.

I suspected it had something to do with the plugs. I only ran the clicking for more than the time it took to let the light go out, once. It's a very faint sound.

My hearing loss without aids is not debilitating but I can't hear it unless I have my aids in....then I do have super hearing. I swear I could hear a mouse living in my barn pass gas with these hearing aids.

Perhaps it's not even hearable with normal ears. I'll get someone else to listen to it and try not to worry about it unless it gets really loud.

That's the relay. Mine and every 16 series tractor at the dealers I sat on before I purchased my 3016 made the same noise. You do not need the glow plugs now. Just go right to "start" and after a few revolutions, she'll fire right up.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #8  
Does it rattle all the time when they key is in the on position? Our BX2660 has the same sound and its the electric pre fuel pump which runs anytime the key is on (the assumption being that you wont leave the key on and the engine off for long).
Our B7500 and L3830 do not have an electric fuel pump and dont have the sound.
If you get under it, you will find the rattling sound coming from the inline electric fuel pump.

Aaron Z

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on. #9  
I think what you are hearing is the fuel pump and it runs as long as the switch is on. Nothing to worry about.

/ 3016 rattling sound when key is on.
It rattles all the time that the key is in the on position. I discovered it while trying to find an electrical circuit for the lights I installed. I wanted the lights be under the control of the switch like the headlights are.

Arrow, thanks for the info on the 16 series.

I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks for all the responses.