32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here?

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Why can't these stupid manufacturers get their heads together and make these oil/gas mixture devices all the same. How many of you have a Homelite anything with 32-1 and a Husky whatever with a 50-1 or a Poulan whatever with the 40-1 ratio? I do not want to mix different gas for each power tool. So what would you do? Find a happy medium like 40-1 and run them all on it? Why can't all of them run on a 50-1 mixture? Is it poor quality of parts that require a higher degree of oil mixture? So tell me, what do you guys do?

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #2  
Right, wrong or indifferent, I run all my two cycle stuff using John Deere exact mix. I put one of those little four oz. jugs in a gallon of gas and use it in everything. Have been doing that for four years and have had no adverse affects on any of my engines. I am running two JD weed eaters, an Echo weed eater, Echo blower, JD chain saw and a Homelite chain saw. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I was getting tired of having to label all the cans and trip over them when going into the lawn mower shed.

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #3  
I'm stubborn I guess. I have four different cans in the shed, all with different mixes. If I run out of one I will use the next oilier(sp?) mix if I'm in a hurry. I have read that all of the engines will run alright on a modern 50:1, but I can't afford to find out if they're right. I have one big & old Poulan, one of the real ones, that uses 16:1 (8 oz. of oil to gallon, is that ratio right?) I just can't see it running on 50:1.

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #4  
I have three Stihl chainsaw all recommending 40:1 mix, I have always mixed at 32:1 and have never had a problem with hard starting or smoking. I'd use the heavier mix if it were me.

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #5  
If you only want to use one mixture for all your engines, use the 32:1 mixture ... a bit more oil in the other engines shouldn't hurt it like but too much gasoline in the mixture would.

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #6  
Same here...JD chainsaw, Sthil chainsaw, 2 JD weed eaters, Poulan leaf blower and probably something else I am forgetting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #7  
Jim,
When I ran my Poulan saw I kept 2 seperate containers for my 2 cycle stuff. Now I make sure I buy eqiupment that all uses the same ratio and I am down to one container.

I have heard you can use the 32:1 mix for everything but I always assumed that would lead to fouling of the plugs.

Phil

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #8  
I use Stihl low-e oil 50-1 in all mixed fuel equipment.

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #9  
I keep (2) 1 gallon cans.
1 at 32:1 for everything Homelite
1 at 50:1 for everything Husqvarna

For the 40:1, I fill the tank 1/2 way with 32:1 the other 1/2 at 50:1.

I wouldn't trust my Homelites to last very long if running at 50:1
My Husky's run perfectly at 50:1 so I don't want to increase the oil mix by almost 40%.

/ 32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here? #10  
My Dealer once told me that it doesn't matter what you run as long as you are consistent, and you run FRESH Hi-test fuel. He said changing the mix or even the oil brand was worse than using more or less than recommended. In his shop he mixes 50:1 for everything using a premium oil.

If I recall correctly my Husky Saw and my JD Weedeater both say 50:1 if using Husky / JD oil, but 40:1/32:1 if using someone elses oil. Personally I mix 1 can of Hi-test 32:1 and use it in everything.

(Side topic - don't try to fill a 1 gallon can with Hi-test from a multi-grade pump. You'll get whatever the previous guy used and pay for premium - and the next guy gets a bonus in the lines. I make a special trip for hi-test to the one station with a dedicated pump.)