32-1, 40-1, 50-1 what the heck is wrong here?

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Why can't these stupid manufacturers get their heads together and make these oil/gas mixture devices all the same. How many of you have a Homelite anything with 32-1 and a Husky whatever with a 50-1 or a Poulan whatever with the 40-1 ratio? I do not want to mix different gas for each power tool. So what would you do? Find a happy medium like 40-1 and run them all on it? Why can't all of them run on a 50-1 mixture? Is it poor quality of parts that require a higher degree of oil mixture? So tell me, what do you guys do?

johndeere2210

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
Right, wrong or indifferent, I run all my two cycle stuff using John Deere exact mix. I put one of those little four oz. jugs in a gallon of gas and use it in everything. Have been doing that for four years and have had no adverse affects on any of my engines. I am running two JD weed eaters, an Echo weed eater, Echo blower, JD chain saw and a Homelite chain saw. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I was getting tired of having to label all the cans and trip over them when going into the lawn mower shed.

Logan

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010DT
I'm stubborn I guess. I have four different cans in the shed, all with different mixes. If I run out of one I will use the next oilier(sp?) mix if I'm in a hurry. I have read that all of the engines will run alright on a modern 50:1, but I can't afford to find out if they're right. I have one big & old Poulan, one of the real ones, that uses 16:1 (8 oz. of oil to gallon, is that ratio right?) I just can't see it running on 50:1.

billbill1

Veteran Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 1533 Shuttle AgKing 2840 shuttle shift
I have three Stihl chainsaw all recommending 40:1 mix, I have always mixed at 32:1 and have never had a problem with hard starting or smoking. I'd use the heavier mix if it were me.

Gatorboy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331
If you only want to use one mixture for all your engines, use the 32:1 mixture ... a bit more oil in the other engines shouldn't hurt it like but too much gasoline in the mixture would.

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
Same here...JD chainsaw, Sthil chainsaw, 2 JD weed eaters, Poulan leaf blower and probably something else I am forgetting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhilNH5

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC
Jim,
When I ran my Poulan saw I kept 2 seperate containers for my 2 cycle stuff. Now I make sure I buy eqiupment that all uses the same ratio and I am down to one container.

I have heard you can use the 32:1 mix for everything but I always assumed that would lead to fouling of the plugs.

Phil

Panache

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5200, NHBoomer 35
I use Stihl low-e oil 50-1 in all mixed fuel equipment.

bczoom

Veteran Member
I keep (2) 1 gallon cans.
1 at 32:1 for everything Homelite
1 at 50:1 for everything Husqvarna

For the 40:1, I fill the tank 1/2 way with 32:1 the other 1/2 at 50:1.

I wouldn't trust my Homelites to last very long if running at 50:1
My Husky's run perfectly at 50:1 so I don't want to increase the oil mix by almost 40%.

BigEddy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 855, 322, AMT626 plus whatever my son dragged home this month
My Dealer once told me that it doesn't matter what you run as long as you are consistent, and you run FRESH Hi-test fuel. He said changing the mix or even the oil brand was worse than using more or less than recommended. In his shop he mixes 50:1 for everything using a premium oil.

If I recall correctly my Husky Saw and my JD Weedeater both say 50:1 if using Husky / JD oil, but 40:1/32:1 if using someone elses oil. Personally I mix 1 can of Hi-test 32:1 and use it in everything.

(Side topic - don't try to fill a 1 gallon can with Hi-test from a multi-grade pump. You'll get whatever the previous guy used and pay for premium - and the next guy gets a bonus in the lines. I make a special trip for hi-test to the one station with a dedicated pump.)

EastTexFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4740, B2400 and F2680
I've never understood this either. Not that it matters ... one mix does all, 40:1. I've never had a problem yet and it's much better than trying to keep 3 different mixes fresh. Even a gallon of mix lasts a long time in a seldom used piece of equipment.

riches139

Bronze Member
I use Amsoil (www.amsoil.com) at 80-1. I have also ran it at 100-1 with no problems.
Keeps exhaust port clean, and the plug in all my 2 cycle equipment.
The quality of the oil determines the mix ratio.

Attachments

• 559830-atp_qt_300pxh.jpg
    559830-atp_qt_300pxh.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 153

getut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
I do the same. I use Amsoil 100:1 pre-mix oil, but mix it at around 80:1 and use it in everything, even my 28HP Simonini racing 2 stroke motor on my flying rig. It calls for 32:1 in the manual and I have over 175 hours on it now and it runs flat out for 2 hours at a time when I am flying.

The same mix runs in my boat and my stihl weed-eater. Never had a problem. I don't have to de-carbon the Simonini near as often as guys running other oils at the recommended mix ratio (by engine manufacturer). I also have never had an engine seizure. Other guys I fly with have.

BigDave

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
When I had multiple machines that required different mixes, I also ran a single Amsoil mix for all of them.

art

Tractor
all makes and models
Jim, you are right about the quality of build for the mix of the oil. The coarser the cut the more oil that is needed.

getut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
It is NOT simply the quality of build that sets the oil mixture. The combination of air intake/oil/gas/compression ratio/tuned exhaust creates a complex mix of variables that equal different power output and different head temperatures. Running a given intake/compression ratio/carb (fuel and air mixture) is an effective way to reduce head temperatures without changing anything mechanically. The engine runs richer and cooler. Side effect of that is less power and more fuel consumption. Decrease oil used and head temperature rises, power increases, fuel consumption decreases and it runs leaner. A good synthetic 2-stroke oil such as the Amsoil 100:1 handles the leaner running without the large temperature increase of other oils. The temp increases are what cause seizure or holes burned in pistons in high performance 2 strokes. A proper 2 stroke engine design will also use the incoming mixture to help cool the engine. The synthetic 2 stroke oils also turn to a mist easier when leaving the jets which aids that cooling process.

So in effect... a good synthetic 2 stroke oil such as Amsoil or Redline will typically yield more power and less fuel consumption with the same temperature or same power and fuel consumption and lower temperature than regular oils. This effect is quite noticeable.

OP
J

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
I just ordered two quarts of Amsoil. I guess since most of my new tools are under warranty, chainsaws, leaf blower/vac and trimmer I may as well give it a try and see how that works out. Thanks for the info guys.

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Ive also been told it's NOT the product/engine manufatucre but the OIL & GAS that makes it. one oil mfg recogmends 32 or 40 or50:1 then follow that for all of the engines. at least that is what the profesional guy said who was into oils & lubes for a living...

MarkM