3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up'

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up'
Or maybe,,,, he's tightening the valve cover enough to compress the top causing valve train to not function properly??? But then, you should hear the tappet banging on the cover......
You'd think you'd hear tappet noise, I completely agree. It's kind of a noisy engine, but from what I can tell, valve lash is correct.

Exhaust smoke at high idle.

I topped up coolant and I'm letting it idle while I drink tea... After a while I'll shut off and check coolant level. But I did check prior to running and it was full, and oil looked good.

Low idle burns pretty darn clean after warm up.

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #43  
In the first post you stated diesel got into the oil. Has that contaminated oil and filter been changed yet? I'm not sure if that would make a difference on running.

In the first post you stated diesel got into the oil. Has that contaminated oil and filter been changed yet?
It has not. Oil was drained off to proper level.

I did not think of that as a possibility.

Not a really good procedure/practice to run oil contaminated with fuel.... You don't know if it is still thick enough to protect bearings....
Makes sense. I will change that oil this afternoon, hopefully the 30 minutes of idle we have done hasn't caused any damage.

Okay. Replaced oil and filter, cleared up a lot of the exhaust (I'm guessing it was slightly over filled) except at high load ~2800-3000 rpm.
Still blows smoke.

Coolant and oil look fine, with no discernable contamination.

I'm curious if this could be caused by either injection pump timing (although this seems unlikely because nothing was changed there) or perhaps valve lash issues? I'm assuming the extra fuel at high load is causing an incomplete combustion situation. Though I don't know the remedy or diagnosis.

Maybe dirty injectors?

Last edited:
   / 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #49  
We still need to keep the KISS principle in mind Not mess with anything that hasn't been messed with.

If it's running okay, put a couple hours on the engine and see what changes. Everything may clean up. At least it's running okay isn't it? Running on all cylinders for example? Does it have normal HP? Pull a load, move around without stalling, etc.?

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #50  
The smoking was from diesel in the oil getting past the rings. It's a good thing that it wasn't enough to make it run away.

When it's idling poorly it's running on one cylinder. I don't know how the decompression works on that engine but I think that's a good lead.