3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ?

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #1  

botayota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240Hst
Well I've never used a 3pt hitch, today after I removed my BH90, I was able to install all of the top/lower links, and telescoping stablizers properly, tomorrow I'll atempt to hook up my 1st implement a Brushog SQ60. Can anyone here lend some experience info that will help me get all of these connections hooked up properly? Why is the lifting rod right adjustable, but not the left? What function does this provide?

Tks,
BY

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #2  
The lifting rod on the right allows you to tilt an implement higher or lower to level the implement in relation to the rear of the tractor. Also useful if you have a rear blade for digging more on one side or the other, such as digging out a ditch with the right end of the blade. Or you could tilt a blade one way or the other to create a slope if you needed to.

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #3  
Side tilt of a implement if needed, for instance crowning a road or drainage ditch. To make it esiar, pull the pins out of the holes on lower arms so that they move side to side. Back up as straight to imp. as possible. Hook up lowers and pin ends so they dont fall off, hook up top and pin. Line everthing up how you want it and put pin/chain assy in holes on lower link to keep alignment, adjust fore/aft tilt with top link, tighten jam nut and your off and running, i think. I keep a small sledge and crescent on back of my tractor for persasion purposes.:D

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #4  
My one and only recommendation is to be sure that if you are using a PTO powered implement, be sure the shaft is completely seated on the spline. That's both the tractor spline and the implement spline.
You can cause a lot of damage and scare the **** out of yourself if that PTO shaft spins off one of the splines :eek:

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ?
Hi Happyman,
Well yes the PTO driveshafts are also all new to me, I noticed that the connection of the driveshaft has a springloaded barrel at one end that must hold it onto the pto of the tractor but the other end must just push into the drive shaft of the Bush Hog. How do these stay together just with pressure? I assume this is where if these don't mesh tight enough, and you don't have the implement close enough to the tractor the two drive shafts (Splines) could separate...yikes that could cause problems. I'll be taking it nice and slow the 1st time I hook up my Bush Hog and the 3pt hitch.

Tks,
BY

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #6  
botayota, both ends of the shaft "lock" onto the splines. Both ends will be spring loaded and "snap" closed when properly seated on the spline. On my bush hog, the end that attaches to the tractor has a collar that I pull back, then I push it onto the tractor. You have to wiggle it a bit to get it to slide all the way on. The collar will snap forward and lock the shaft onto the spline. The end to the bush hog is also spring loaded but it twists open instead of pulling back. Again, push it onto the spline while keeping it twisted open and it will snap back and close once the locking mechanism is properly seated.
I always give a couple of big tugs on the shaft to be sure the ends are locked. I also watch it closely when first engaging the PTO to be sure it does not wobble.
Good Luck!

Happyman, thanks for the info, especially the shaft locks, what Bush Hog model do you have? I have the Sq-160 with slip clutch. I know my shaft lock is similar to yours at the tractor end since this hasn't been connected, but the
shaft end at the Bush Hog came connected so I'm not sure if that connector is similar to your's. I guess I confused my previous question, what I was referring too was that my shaft came in two parts, one part was already connected to the Bush hog, while the other part of the shaft was just lying in the pile with all the 3pt hitch arms when my tractor got delivered. I was trying to figure out how these two shaft ends which have no connectors attached to each other, but after reading further I figured that one just slids into the other, and there should be at least a 6 inch overlapp in the shaft ends when the implement is the furthest from the pto.

:D

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #8  
I actually don't have a "bush hog", but a "finish cutter". Works the same but is used for grass rather then fields with saplings.
Either way, the PTO shaft engages the same way.

Got the Bush Hog hooked up within an hour the other night, considering this was the 1st time...did not think it was too bad. The adjustable lower links definitely helped, the reason I bought them. Also thanks too all the great
people here that share their advice on tractors :D

I'm still trying to adjust the lower links pin chains so that they are equal on
both sides, and also thru a hole that doesn't allow movement. I guess
I'll just have to Jockey around the Bush Hog until those holes line up.

- Clint

/ 3pt hitch adjustments L3240 ? #10  
botayota said:
I'm still trying to adjust the lower links pin chains so that they are equal on
both sides, and also thru a hole that doesn't allow movement. I guess
I'll just have to Jockey around the Bush Hog until those holes line up.

- Clint
Try raising the 3 pt hitch so your "hog" is off the ground. Then it's easier to push side-to-side to get it lined up straight.