3pt Hitch history

/ 3pt Hitch history #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Last edited:
   / 3pt Hitch history #2  
TractorData.com - Three-Point Hitch

At least Massey got rich, but I took a lawsuit to do it. $9E6 dollars 70 years ago was a pretty good settlement.

"Massey" didn't "get rich." Massey wasn't involved in the lawsuit.

Henry ("Harry") Ferguson invented the concept of the three-point hitch. Ferguson and Ford had dispute over Ford supplying tractors to Ferguson for sale in England. Ferguson sued Ford for $340M but settled for $9M because, in reality, Ferguson's lawsuit wasn't all that strong.

You have to understand that the Ford family wholly owned Ford Motor Company. There were no stockholders.

The Fords looked at Ferguson's lawsuit as a nuisance, and knew Ferguson's patent was going to run out. Paying Ferguson to go away was easier than becoming involved in a drawn out lawsuit as Ford Motor Company was ramping up production after WWII and didn't want the distraction.

While Ferguson did get $9M ($102M today), that is a small settlement in comparison to the suit that claimed damages of $340M.

Let me put that in better perspective for you. In one year, 1913, before there were income taxes, Henry Ford NETTED $220M in profits. That's equal to $5B today. Ford was the most profitable motor company for years, and at the time of Ferguson's lawsuit, the $9M settlement was, basically, petty cash for Ford Motor Company.

Last edited:
   / 3pt Hitch history #3  
Ferguson isn't Massey Ferguson. At least not in that era. I read up on all this a while back because I have a Ferguson TO-30 tractor. Some good reading, check out the wiki's.

/ 3pt Hitch history
My error, I meant Ferguson.

Ford, One of the Barron's of industry.
By definition, being one means it is hard to be a nice guy.