3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #1  

0dude

Tractor
newholland tc55da
i have looked at the options for rebuilding the face of one of my pond dams and with my 32hp and 55hp tractors it looks like my best answer would be a 3pt hitch towable 1,5+yds dirt pan with closable front. The cost of new unit $5000 to $9000 is beyond my budget at this time. The only used unit I have found has not been built since 2000, thus no spare parts available and still priced at $2800. Any suggestions?

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #2  
Found this in Batesville, MS equipment dealer for $4100. If you were to buy one, new or used, I would be happy to purchase it for a fair price after you finish with it!
After I finish, I would resell to someone for fair market value. It would really help us who only need something like this for a small project!
Just a thought:thumbsup:

Dirt Pan.jpg

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #3  
Do those really work on a typical utility tractor? I wonder if you will have enough traction to pull it through hard ground. I can see it working on loose dirt or loose sand, but with the dirt I have here, I have my doubts. YMMV.

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #4  
It has a cutting edge like a box blade and it just picks up the dirt to move rather than drag it like a BB would.

Even if the ground had to be ripped or plowed to loosen, it would move a lot more dirt than a BB

:2cents:

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #5  
You need more horsepower, loading a dirt pan is hard pulling.

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #6  
I've got small Overland scraper, handiest thing since sliced bread..!! I believe it is rated at 1 1/2 yd. I have pulled it with as little as my Super C Farmall, and as much as my Massey 180. With the Super C it was a down hill cut, in dry shaley clay. Didn't cut much at a time, but it moved some dirt in short order.

I widened the dam on my pond about 15 years ago with it. Put the subsoiler on the Super C, and pre-ripped about a foot deep. At that time pulled it with my Farmall M, with 3pt. Had to hang a 100 lb wheel weight out on the nose, and still had to watch if it hooked in too much, catching a rock, etc.. It would pull the front wheels off the ground. I have done that several times with the 180. There is no problem with having enough traction with the 3 pt. hookup drawbar. Draft from the cut will hold you down. You don't want to take too deep of a cut at a time anyway. Never have I pulled it at over half throttle, in low gear. Better to have it kill the tractor, then have it come back over on you.

The ones with the trucks under the front of them would require a lot of wheel weight to pull them, not necessarily HP. A buddy of mine I worked with, helped his Grandfater when younger. They had a Ford 5000 with I believe he said 4 sets of rear wheel weights on the tractor, to pull a 2 yd. scraper.

DSC01007[1].JPG

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #7  
What makes these scrapers better than a loader other than ease of use? Are they faster?

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #8  
What makes these scrapers better than a loader other than ease of use? Are they faster?

sheer amount of dirt they can haul in a single load and better for taking small amounts of dirt over LARGE distances

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #9  
You can also cut a slope on a knob piece of ground, if you stage your cuts. Make a full cut pass, skip about 2/3 of the width of your scraper, then make another full cut pass. Come back and pick up the center part you skipped, making it a sloped cut.

Mine has notch in the dump frame to hold the bowl at the half dump position, so as to grade. I've also used it to grade my driveway, knocking out the center hump, spreading it in the wheel tracks.

/ 3pt hitch towable 1,5yds dirt pan #10  
And looking for one using several key words helps. Most call them scrapers, some pans. When in the Operating Engineer's Apprenticeship program many moons ago, the instructor told us, " You fry eggs in a pan, you move dirt with a scraper."

You can do a search using the Claz ad like below. If you enter scraper, you will get tons of hits, but look what I found at the bottom link..!! I do realize it is a good ways from you, but then there are places where you can look for truckers looking for some sort of load back east. And for the price he is asking, and the price of the scraper you found, there is some room for shipping costs.

Classifieds - Claz.org

3 pt. Hyd. Earthmoving Scraper 5ft. Wide Ad 26490944