3pt splitter on a tc25d setup for backhoe

/ 3pt splitter on a tc25d setup for backhoe #1  

MikefromMI

Silver Member
Tractor
TC25D
Hey fellas! Been looking at split fire dual action splitters with the 4 way knife. Only problem is I can only afford one (3404) if I go 3pt. At this time when the backhoe is connected I'm using the 3pt lift hydraulics which aren't needed. I'm going to want the ability to adjust height on the splitter. I've just moved and haven't unpacked my manuals yet. I believe the hose connected up front next to the engine is pressure, right? And the connection under the seat return. I'm wondering if I connect the splitter return under the seat and some kinda tee up front that will allow me to leave the 3pt connected yet plug in the other splitter hose if I'm good. 2nd question...if I spend the bucks to get a pto pump - can the splitter use that with no reservoir? I see all these pto pumps which say their for splitters - but no reservoirs. And no 3pt splitters with res..... Help! Where is at Sound Guy? Sorry so long...makin up for time...lol

/ 3pt splitter on a tc25d setup for backhoe
After reading this I should also add that the bh connects under the seat and I disconnect up front and connect that hose to the other bh hose....no....I never followed it back and/or under to see where its connected. But when I disconnect I lose the 3pt lift which is why I assume its pressure. Now that I thoroughly confused everyone....:(

OK...More reading...see if I go PTO I have to make a reservoir (FYI = twice the size as the output of the pump.) Not happening....trying to keep prices low. These pumps are between 350-500$ + tank + Fab. I may as well buy a stand alone for the price of the PTO setup. So... back to wanting to tee off and use my 3 pt hydraulics with the addition of a connection to the splitter hose. I'll only be using 1 at a time anyway.

/ 3pt splitter on a tc25d setup for backhoe #6  
aah... stupid computer... had a nice long post about what I did & lost it...

OK -- I have a TC40A & heres what I did with my splitter: Built a tow behind as the idea was to eventually convert to self powered, which is what I did. But before, I used the tractor to power the splitter. Long hoses from an open center valve on the splitter. I used quick connects from TSC to connect into the valve under the tractor. I have a loader and hoe so plumbed it so that the loader and 3ph would work while the splitter was connected. The pressure supply to the splitter valve connects where you connect the hoe pressure supply hose, but as you know, the 3ph won't work if you use the return port under the seat. Since I have a loader on mine, I connected the return from splitter valve to the pressure SUPPLY line to the loader valve. That way, fluid flows freely through all of the open center valves unless you're activating the loader or 3ph valves. I used a 4" cylinder that gave me about a 13 second stroke time at 1500 rpm on the TC40. If you don't have a loader, you'll have to figure out exactly where on the valve block under the tractor to plumb your return from the splitter - the trick here is to remember that there will be system PRESSURE on the return side of the splitter valve (whenever you're using the 3ph lift or the loader valve), so use good quality hose thats' rated for pressure for your 'return ' line from the splitter valve. HTH

Rear-return connection side view.jpgControl Valve-Diverter Block Assy.jpg
aah... stupid computer... had a nice long post about what I did & lost it...

OK -- I have a TC40A & heres what I did with my splitter: Built a tow behind as the idea was to eventually convert to self powered, which is what I did. But before, I used the tractor to power the splitter. Long hoses from an open center valve on the splitter. I used quick connects from TSC to connect into the valve under the tractor. I have a loader and hoe so plumbed it so that the loader and 3ph would work while the splitter was connected. The pressure supply to the splitter valve connects where you connect the hoe pressure supply hose, but as you know, the 3ph won't work if you use the return port under the seat. Since I have a loader on mine, I connected the return from splitter valve to the pressure SUPPLY line to the loader valve. That way, fluid flows freely through all of the open center valves unless you're activating the loader or 3ph valves. I used a 4" cylinder that gave me about a 13 second stroke time at 1500 rpm on the TC40. If you don't have a loader, you'll have to figure out exactly where on the valve block under the tractor to plumb your return from the splitter - the trick here is to remember that there will be system PRESSURE on the return side of the splitter valve (whenever you're using the 3ph lift or the loader valve), so use good quality hose thats' rated for pressure for your 'return ' line from the splitter valve. HTH

Wouldn't you know the same thing just happened to me. But I caught my mistake. I got pulled away from my desk a couple times and had to minimize. When I completed I somehow hit reply again. Not submit reply. It killed my text window..... Anyway, thanks for continuing. Lets see if I can do the short version. Have to remember to high-light my new text and copy every now n then.

I have a dealer installed loader and BH. I assumed the 3pt became in/op due to the hose being disconnected up under the loader quick disconnects. That hose comes from up inside my loader valve housing where there are also 2 hard pipes coming from the same block the hose connects to when the BH isn't on. I'm assuming the hard pipes are the pressure and return for the loader valve and the the dealer tapped into the same valve to give me pressure via hose for either the 3pt or BH. I simply want to leave the hose connected but add a tee to connect the splitter also. My 3pt already works fine with the loader on.

So your saying my 3pt won't work if I attach on to the BH hose like you state above and connect the return to the same as the return as the BH. How come? I guess I don't understand why sending pressure through center on the splitter and but into the return would be any different than the BH being attached.

Last edited:
   / 3pt splitter on a tc25d setup for backhoe #8  
IF I can explain this right: When your BH isn't on the tractor, the top connector under the seat is vacant, correct? This is a return directly to the reservoir.
Pressure comes from your pump, through the loader valve, then to the manifold body beneath the tractor, which routes the pressure to your 3ph valve. IF you hook the BH up, you bypass the 3ph valve (you don't connect the return from the BH underneath the tractor, you connect it to the return under the seat, right?). You don't use or need the 3ph (to lift) when the BH is attached.
From your photo(the one with all of the hoses shown), I would think that you would disconnect the bottom hose, route one end to your splitter valve and the now vacant end from your splitter valve. Unless you add a valve to block off something, your splitter will not work if you just add a 'tee' fitting and return your oil to the port under the seat (and neither will your loader). The oil would always take the path of least resistance, which would be through whichever valve you're NOT USING at the time. The valve that you're using would develop no pressure to actuate a cylinder (loader or splitter). The key to this is to remember that all of the valves are open center: oil flows freely through them, at the rated flow of the pump, back to the reservoir, any time the tractor is running. Each valve, when actuated, re-routes that flow to a cylinder and stops the 'free flow' back to the reservoir. I'm sure that I've throughly confused you... :(

Lol, na, got ya. Everything you say is correct. But I want the tee where you see the hose connected. Not at the return. Now I have pressure from the loader valve at both the 3ph and now to the splitter also. Then...take the other side of the splitter (return) and connect that under the seat. What do you think?

/ 3pt splitter on a tc25d setup for backhoe #10  
Ask your self this: where will the oil go after it goes through the tee fitting? Answer: It will flow to the path of least resistance. IF you operate the loader valve, the oil will free flow from the tee through your splitter valve (open center) and back to the reservoir - no pressure developed to operate the loader. IF you operate the splitter valve, the oil will flow through the (oepn center) loader valve - no pressure developed for the splitter to operate. (In either case though, your 3ph WOULD work this way)
You would have to add 2 valves at the tee for this to work, select either for the loader to operate or the splitter to operate, but both at the same time won't work. The oil must flow in series, through each valve with no way to bypass (the tee fitting) around any valve, then back to the reservoir. That is the nature of an open center system. I would have liked to be able to plug my splitter into ports on the rear of the tractor, without having to crawl under to connect, but it would have involved much more plumbing, including a valve, two tees, piping or hoses from under the tractor... In the end I knew that I'd be addding power to the splitter in a few years any way, so I put up with it for three years.