3rd SCV and Rear Remote

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote #1  

FredSG

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4052R JD 4310, 825i Gator
Hi,

My 4052R is setup with a 3rd SCV to operate a Grapple. I have a joystick with a thumb button and that works my Grapple.

I was told by the installing dealer that I would have all four functions of my joystick (up down, tilt and curl) and a button on your thumb to open/close your grapple or to control whatever you have plugged in on back.

My question is what am I able to do with the remote/rear 3rd SCV? I'm puzzled by what I was told "control whatever you have plugged in on back".

So, If the front 3rd SCV is not connected to the Grapple does this mean I can use the joystick and thumb button to engage and work the rear 3rd SCV (control whatever you have plugged in on back)? I want to install an hydraulic top link and connect it to my rear 3rd SCV and operate it using the joystick and thumb button. Would this be possible? Or do I need other hardware like a Diverter?

Thanks for any opinions.

FredSG

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote #2  
Hard to say. I don't quit follow your set up, you talk about a "front 3rd SCV" and a "remote/rear 3rd SCV"?

Follow the hydraulic lines.
Where do the lines from the grapple's "clamp" hydraulic cylinder(s) run to? I guessing it doesn't plug into rear SCV? Do you only have one rear SCV?

I'm guessing there's a separate lever on or near your operator console that operates the rear SCV to "control whatever you have plugged in on back"? This lever would be separate and have nothing to do with the loader/grapple joystick and could be used for a hyd top link.

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote #3  
A Selective Control Valve as normally used for tractors is a hydraulic valve or valves mounted on the fender or ROPS or between the seat and fender, with quick connects somewhere, usually the back of the tractor.

It sounds like what you have is a 3rd function. That's an electrically controlled valve, with the switch on the loader joystick, usually for operating a grapple or front snow blower chute.

Of course you can run hydraulic hoses from a SCV's couplers up front to run a grapple, you just have to move your hand from the loader joystick to the SCV's handle to operate it. And you can run lines from the 3rd function back to the rear to operate a hydraulic top link. The problem with that is that a 3rd function solenoid valve is either on or off. And the top link is a small cylinder. So it will move fast. I have top and tilt on factory SCVs and I usually feather them so I'm not slamming the implement around.

You can put restrictors on the top cylinder to slow it down. But you won't be able to use the top link and the grapple at the same time, and you'll have to move hoses from one set of QCs to another. I find the top link very useful. It might be worth adding a dedicated SCV for the top link. If you're going to add one I'd suggest adding two.

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote
Coby,

All I can add is the following as I understand the hydraulics . . . the dealer created a tee to allow the oil to go to the back
as originally planned or to the front if I had a grapple hooked up. The only limitation to this is I can't have something plugged into the back 3rd port and the front 3rd port at the same time (which I wouldn't anyway).

So in my original post - I'm thinking if the joystick controls the front "port", why wouldn't it also control the rear SCV "port" in the same way?

BTW, I also have a 4th and 5th SCV installed.

Thanks for your reply.

FredSG

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote #5  
Coby,

All I can add is the following as I understand the hydraulics . . . the dealer created a tee to allow the oil to go to the back
as originally planned or to the front if I had a grapple hooked up. The only limitation to this is I can't have something plugged into the back 3rd port and the front 3rd port at the same time (which I wouldn't anyway).

So in my original post - I'm thinking if the joystick controls the front "port", why wouldn't it also control the rear SCV "port" in the same way?

Thanks for your reply.

FredSG

Fred, it will work exactly as you have described. The whole deal with what you have is that ONLY the front or rear couplers can be plugged in at any one time. ;)

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote #6  
So the 3rd SCV ports should be mounted on the back and have a control lever next to the 3 point lift lever. The 4th and 5th SCV is powered by electric/solenoid diverter or switch. When you hit the button, it redirects the flow from the 1st and 2nd SCV (Loader controls) and directs them to the 4th and 5th SCV ports. So you can use the 1st and 2nd at on time and the 4th and 5th when you hit the button but not all 4 at the same time.

The 3rd should be independent of the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th, an should have 2 ports on the rear.

This is the typical JD setup on all the tractors I have looked at.

On my 4410, I ran a set of lines from the rear 3rd SCV ports to the front of the loader to operate a plow or grapple. So I use the 3rd SCV control independent of the joystick and button. You have the next level up from me where the 4th and 5th were added.

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote
Brian,

Did you get my updated photos showing more of the rear of my 4052R?

FredSG

/ 3rd SCV and Rear Remote #8  
Coby,

Thanks for your reply.

FredSG

So you may or may not have the 3rd SCV. If they put on the 4th and 5th SCV valve and teed one to the rear, then the one on the rear is tied to the same port as the front.

What they should have done is not use a tee, and make the 4th go to the front and the 5th go to the rear. I suspect it could easily be re-plumbed to do this. Then you can operate the grapple with one direction on the joystick, and the rear with the other and them being independent of each other.