4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #1  

gaschleimer

Tractor
Troy Built
Hey Ya'll,
I just purchased 37 acres - measuring up. I have about two acres of flat land to mow - easily handled with a big box troy built, but I wanted something to take up the mountain trail hall trees back down, hall lumber to build a deer stand etc... essentially, does an all-in-one, mower / 4 wheeler exist? If so, what's the best?

Thanks

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #2  

MinnesotaMorg

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 4707
It's a little crude, but you might just want to get a side by side and tow one of these things around.

I know they make belly mowers for ATV's, but it sounds like a Side by side with the tow behind is more your speed for hauling stuff etc.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #3  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower
I just purchased 37 acres in the mountains.

I want something to take up the mountain trail, haul trees back down, haul lumber to build a deer stand etc. What is the best?

Kubota's rough-terrain-vehicles (RTVs) have Kubota (tractor) two-range hydrostatic transmissions, (tractor) limited slip differentials and 4-WD standard. RTVs are work vehicles. $12,000 and up.

MUTS trailers are the best. $2,300 and up.

Ventrac or Steiner tractors are the heavier, more expensive, more versatile choice for mowing hilly land. Ventrac is a division of Toro.

VIDEOS:

Attachments

• DSC00061.jpg
    DSC00061.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 71

Attachments

• DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 83

Last edited:
   / 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #4  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower

gaschleimer:​

Adding your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE will get you much better tailored replies to your opening post.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #5  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
   / 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #7  

stevem5215

Platinum Member
Tractor
Steiner 420 - Black Craftsman Pro 24hp - Simplicity 48 ZT-2500 - Simplicity Citation XL 61" - Chainsaw CS-5720
IMO for the jobs mentioned you need several pieces of equipment. For the size of the property I'd suggest an ATV or side by side for light hauling and 37 acres of work use. The other would be a compact tractor with a loader and mower. Otherwise for a single piece of equipment you'd need a commercial Bob cat 4wd or the like and they are expensive and then you are stuck with a single vehicle if it breaks down or gets stuck. Multiple pieces of equipment have purpose if not for just towing when one's dead on the trail (which happens) or gets stuck (which happens).

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor #8  

4x4prepper

Tractor
Snapper 3010
I would favor a 1984-1988 Ford Bronco II 4x4 with manual hubs, manual transfer case, and manual transmission. I had 30 acres in central Maine and use to take it down ATV trails on the property, pretty much stock with the exception of 235/75r15 tires. You can make a small firewood cage out of 2x4s, secure it so you do not get squished in an accident, and load it to the roof with firewood such as birch, as I used to do. Oak only go <1/2 way, it can handle 1,000# or so okay driving slow off road, not 2000# of oak to the roof.

It has almost a 50/50 front to back weight distribution and for pulling stuff in the wood, the 110 HP and 150 FT PD of torque with 4LO (2:68 ratio) multiplying that provides more then enough power to pull trailers and implements. I like to put a good bumper front and back with pintle hooks/2" ball combos, along with D rings. Add a HF 5000# winch front and back, not only would help when stuck, but, you can skid logs with the winch to where you can grab them with an Arch or to put on a trailer. A light duty 4x8 trailer is the perfect size for the vehicle. A locker in the rear axle would not hurt, I would not put one in the front if you need to steer around trees a lot.

There is the bonus of having good heat and A/C and room for spare parts and equipment such as saws, PLUS, a place to lie down and take a nap if you have to or when it is pouring rain too hard to work. I have been running aggressive retreads for 10+ years and recently upgraded to 16" rims so I could run the retread chevron tires in the link below because tread wright no longer does the 15" tires.

( I get the crushed acorns for the winter traction)

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor
OP
G

gaschleimer

Tractor
Troy Built

gaschleimer:​

Adding your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE will get you much better tailored replies to your opening post.
Sorry for the inconvenience, the property is in SW VA. Konerach VA if you're familiar. 10 miles west of Damascus

/ 4 Wheel Drive Lawn Tractor
OP
G

gaschleimer

Tractor
Troy Built
Because there aren't hills in 50 states. :unsure:
Sorry for the inconvenience, the property is in SW VA. Konerach VA if you're familiar. 10 miles west of Damascus