413 shear bolt grade

/ 413 shear bolt grade #1  

Nicholosi

I have a jd 413 rotary cutter. I use grade 2 3/8" bolt as a shear pin. That's what the previous owner used. They seem to break rather easily. Probably good because I'm inclined to tear stuff up but just wondering if anybody knows whether that is the specified grade for shear bolt. I know some use harder pins/bolts.

Thanks,
John

/ 413 shear bolt grade #2  
If you have the manual for the cutter, the grade of shearbolt should be listed in there...if no manual, call a local Deere dealer (Service or Parts might be your best bet).
If, as you wrote, you're "inclined to tear stuff up", I suggest you stick with a softer shear bolt.

/ 413 shear bolt grade #3  
They are metric, not 3/8". Just a hair thicker than 3/8 inch. If they do not fit VERY snug you will be replacing them constantly which is why the 3/8" is not good. I am hunting some right now ...

/ 413 shear bolt grade #4  
I have a Wallenstein chipper - BX62S. I use 3/8" x 3" grade two machine bolts for shear pins. They DO shear a little bit quicker than the custom made Wallenstein shear bolt.

The difference being - Grade 2 machine bolt + nut = ~ 75 cents. Wallenstein custom shear bolt + nut =~ $5.90. Plus - the dealer NEVER has the custom Wally shear bolts in stock. They always are a special order item.

Better to shear a bolt than screw up the internals of your PTO system on your tractor.

/ 413 shear bolt grade #5  
CORRECTION/UPDATE: Regarding JD 413 brush hog driveline shear bolts...The 10mm bolts in from Lowes or most sources are almost always found in the "8.8" grade marking on the head. So are the Deere OEM bolts. They are $2.86 at Lowes if you can find the length/size you need. That was for a M10-1.50 100mm length. (between 3.5 and 4" long.) I just bought a couple OEM Deere shear bolts and they are just 3" long which means 75 or 80mm length is fine.
If you get other thread sizes (like 1.25 instead of 1.50) you have to be careful to get the same thread nuts. 1.25 is considered 'metric fine' while 1.50 is normal threads.
Deere OEM replacements are part number 19M7329 and are also marked 8.8 Note that 8.8 is the same tensile strength as Grade 5 SAE bolts. That is 120,000 psi. They are not Grade 2 as some people have said.
Being available at a well stocked Lowes (or ACE hardware, or the Deere dealer, etc.) takes you out of being in a special order or 'custom made' category. None are really custom made but I knew what you meant.
These shear bolts from Lowes or the Dealer or several places are $2.30 each, NOT $5 or $6 or $7 as I have seen people talk about. Being 10mm thick and grade 8.8 metric covers all strength factors -- the more expensive ones ARE NO BETTER.

I much prefer to have the right size that does not wiggle in the hole and lasts way longer before shearing. One factor is that rattling around in the hole wears the steel it is intended to fit and very slightly damages/distorts the hole. VERY minor, probably never know it in the life of the machine, but just one more of several reasons I use the closest/best fit I can get.

If I had a reasonable choice I would certainly never ever use a shear bolt in a rotary cutter/hog. With an older used JD413 that needs a seal on the main shaft and is never going to get one ... I'm not going to go make the changes to put on a slip clutch. And slip clutches are not very common on smaller cutters like the 413.

Last edited:
   / 413 shear bolt grade #6  
I have a jd 413 rotary cutter. I use grade 2 3/8" bolt as a shear pin. That's what the previous owner used. They seem to break rather easily. Probably good because I'm inclined to tear stuff up but just wondering if anybody knows whether that is the specified grade for shear bolt. I know some use harder pins/bolts.

Thanks,
John
All of my rotary cutters that use a shear pin/bolt use a grade 2. Mine are 1/2X3 inch.
Found a deal on Grainger's site for that size, in a manufacturer they were discontinuing and got every one they had for pennies.

/ 413 shear bolt grade #7  
All of my rotary cutters that use a shear pin/bolt use a grade 2. Mine are 1/2X3 inch.
Found a deal on Grainger's site for that size, in a manufacturer they were discontinuing and got every one they had for pennies.
Grade 2 is not a good idea for a 4ft brush hog as you will be shearing them all the time. I doubt they are good for any size hog. Neither is the 3/8" which almost fits but is loose in the 413. Metric 8.8 strength bolts as I described above are the correct ones, are the same strength as Grade 5 SAE bolts and are the Deere OEM type. We are talking a JD 413 small brush hog here and they do not take 1/2" shear bolts or whatever metric size is close to that. Your cutters are no doubt larger.

/ 413 shear bolt grade #8  
I have seen quite a few manuals for brush
hogs that state use #2 bolts also my brush
hog has a slip clutch and a #2 shear bolt
I would rather shear a cheap bolt that damage
the brush hog

willy

/ 413 shear bolt grade #9  
I have seen quite a few manuals for brush
hogs that state use #2 bolts also my brush
hog has a slip clutch and a #2 shear bolt
I would rather shear a cheap bolt that damage
the brush hog

willy
Never knew of anyone running both a shear bolt and a slip clutch.

/ 413 shear bolt grade #10  
Never knew of anyone running both a shear bolt and a slip clutch.
I do. The OEM King Kutter driveline was a shear bolt only. I needed a longer driveline and got a used Walterscheid with a slip clutch. It attaches to the gearbox with the same shear bolt as the KK OEM driveline so I am in effect "running both."