4200 rear axle seal

/ 4200 rear axle seal #1  

Mighty Dodge

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4200
My 4200 started leaking at the rear axle seal....getting bad now. Looked up parts diagram, looks like the axle needs to be pulled....holy crap. How involved is this repair?

Thanx

John

Last edited:
   / 4200 rear axle seal #2  
VERY involved. You have to remove the rear axle housing. You might
check to see if there is any twine or fishing line wrapped around the
axle causing the problem.

/ 4200 rear axle seal #3  
I replaced the rear axle seal and bearing on a JD 4400 we had. I'm going from memory here, but as I recall I had block the tractor up, remove the wheel, and some linkages. Then I was able to unbolt the ROPS and I think the fender had to come off as well. Then unbolted the axle housing and slid it off, supporting/rolling it back on a little transmission jack I have. Once I had the housing assy. on the bench there was a snap ring that had to come off a gear, then the remove the gear. Take the three bolts off the bearing retainer on the end of housing and slide the axle out. Then just replace the seal and/or bearing and reassemble. Cleaned everything up well and used RTV to reseal the axle housing to transmission. Torque everything to spec and put the tractor back together.

If you are mechanically inclined it's not that hard of a job. Took me about 2-3hrs IIRC.

/ 4200 rear axle seal
Don't have a tranny jack but I guess I could use a floor jack. Looks like it might come out without removing the fender. Now I just need to find the time and money to fix it.

Thanx for the replies

John

/ 4200 rear axle seal #5  
Don't have a tranny jack but I guess I could use a floor jack. Looks like it might come out without removing the fender. Now I just need to find the time and money to fix it.

Thanx for the replies

John

Floor jack will work fine, just be sure to balance the housing on it well so it doesn't tumble off. If it's just the seal leaking it shouldn't be that spendy, less than $20 for the seal IIRC, and a tube of good quality RTV.

/ 4200 rear axle seal #7  
   / 4200 rear axle seal
Thanx

I just changed the tranny fluid two years ago, took just about seven gallons to refill it.

/ 4200 rear axle seal #9  
I just changed the tranny fluid two years ago, took just about seven gallons to refill it.

About seven gals is correct. You will be able to see if anything is in
the bottom of your gearbox (PTO clutch and brake fragments).

The hardest part of removing my axle housings was getting the
brake levers off the shafts. I had to drill holes for pullers (both sides).
Yours may be easier.

/ 4200 rear axle seal
Ahh so the brake assy stays attached to the main housing?

Good to know.