430 Couple of questions

/ 430 Couple of questions #1  

SteveD425

Tractor
JD 425 AWS, JD 430, AC 5020
Been using a 1991 430 for the past couple of summers for mowing. As of late, I'm going through a ridiculous amount of hydraulic fluid - about a quart over a couple of hours. I just pulled the fender pan off and moved the fuel tank aside so I can start to clean things up and locate the leak. I have two questions as of now. Probably more as I get deeper into it.

First, I see that the upper tube for the sight glass has broken off right next to the nipple on the top of the transmission. If I'm mowing on bumpy ground, could I be losing that much fluid there?

Second, The the overflow hose from the fuel filler neck - it is also broken and I was planning to replace it while I have things apart. It appears to have just been laying on top of the fuel tank. Is that correct? I would have expected it be routed to drain to the ground.

/ 430 Couple of questions #2  
Yep, it can lose that much because of a broken sight glass hose.
The broken fuel line is either a vent or the overflow coming back to the tank from the pump.

/ 430 Couple of questions #4  
My fuel tank neck has just had a plastic 90 tapped into it about an inch or so below the cap. I just recently added a hose, but just ran it straight down with a zip tie not through the pan.
Good luck!

FYI I'm looking for a rust free 60" deck if anyone has one! I know hens teeth. Lol

/ 430 Couple of questions #5  
Steve, if a new sight glass tube does not fix your fluid loss issue, it’s possible you have a leaky axle seal. The axle nut will be coated with oil and you will have oil dripping from the brake drum.
keep us posted.

/ 430 Couple of questions
So finishing this up was delayed by finding one of the front isolation mounts for the fender pan was broken and needed to be replaced. If anyone else is wondering why you need to pay JD +/- $35 for a $2 equivalent isolation mount from McMaster-Carr, turns out it's because none of theirs have a long enough stud. You can work around it if you're willing to be a little creative. And not terribly concerned about appearance.

The leak appears to have been the break in the upper sight glass tube. All back together and mowed for for about a half hour so far with no obvious fluid loss. At the rate I was losing it before, I should have seen a noticeable loss after 30 minutes.

The fuel line I was questioning I believe is just a vent. The overflow coming back from the pump is a heavier line and connects near the front of the tank near the other lines. Like bg71361, I opted to just run the line down off of the back rather than back through the fender pan.