44 inch snow caster for LA115 garden tractor

/ 44 inch snow caster for LA115 garden tractor #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Well folks it seems as the dealer sold me the wrong power take off
cable for the LA115 mule.

It can only go on one way.

I tried to attach it to the compression spring pulley arm and the spring is too long
and well we have snow coming and the dealer is closed GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

:smiley_aafz::hissyfit::pullinghair::irked:

/ 44 inch snow caster for LA115 garden tractor #2  
Leon there have been some changes, and with the new part number the notes
indicate selling another part, and i wonder if this is why your new cable won't work
part 13, the brake rod, is new also. maybe it's shorter and would then allow your
cable to work?
sorry i know it won't help tonight.
but maybe you can mod that rod?

rod.jpg

/ 44 inch snow caster for LA115 garden tractor
Hello Dutch X585,

I bet your getting lots of snow now. Its getting sloppy down here in Ithaca.

The parts change would explain a lot for sure.

The bloody thing worked for five years and now I have replaced the chute and they may charge me for a new cable IF they can get one GGGRRRRRRR.

The way the frame mount is on the snow blower and the original mount for belly mower the new cable will never work now.

I wish I could afford a 1023E with a loader, backhoe and Pronovost snow caster now but................

I was so discouraged I did not bother with putting the chains on.
They are going to get a phone call in the morning!!

I am going to have to remove all the scrap from the boiler job to load the tractor now!!

If the long term weather prognosticators are right we are in for deep snow come March.

Stay warm my friend,

LeonZ

Last edited:
Hello Dutch X585,

I just got off the phone with the dealer. They will be picking the LA115 up tomorrow.

They did not have the replacement cable on the last work order from November
but they did have the cable purchase from 2013 and I told them that they replaced
the cable in November she said that there is supposed to be the long rod that
you mentioned last night. I told her it was supposed to be for the belly deck lawn mower.

SO Onward we go and I hope I get it back soon UNLESS I develop enough ambition to
unload the scrap and load the mule on the trailer today and take it over.

I told her the mule is sitting on the driveway where they can winch it up on their truck
with no issues SO I probably will not see it before the end of the month.

Its useless to me now so..................................................................

Last edited:
Hello Dutch X585,

I just got off the phone with the dealer. They will be picking the LA115 up tomorrow.

They did not have the replacement cable on the last work order from November
but they did have the cable purchase from 2013 and I told them that they replaced
the cable in November she said that there is supposed to be the long rod that
you mentioned last night. I told her it was supposed to be for the belly deck lawn mower.

SO Onward we go and I hope I get it back soon UNLESS I develop enough ambition to
unload the scrap and load the mule on the trailer today and take it over.

I told her the mule is sitting on the driveway where they can winch it up on their truck
with no issues SO I probably will not see it before the end of the month.

Its useless to me now so..................................................................

Last edited:
   / 44 inch snow caster for LA115 garden tractor #6  
good luck with it, we are in rain here, been raining since daylight, had some ice build up
on the secondary roads this am but i'm sure it's melting off now, mid 40's.
warm up coming again this weekend, so i bet you'll be ok without it for a few days

keep us posted

I will let you know what happens.

I have two Toro Snow Pups that have never given me a lick of problems.
I would have 4 of them if they had not worn out and the parts cost was not
worth it considering their ages-
first snow pup bought in 1978, second snow pup bought in 1986 third unit bought in
2000 third bought in 2008+- this unit has the heavy curved paddles and it kicks *** especially with cooking spray or fluid film applied to the paddles and housing.

They picked up the mule this morning. I have not heard anything from them yet.
Usually that means that there is going to be a lot of money flying out of my wallet.

I cannot believe some of the prices they are getting for used JD sub compact iron.

The 4 year old 2305 I checked on at Cazenovia Equipment had 200 hours on it and they wanted almost
as much as a new 1023E with a loader and no mower!!

Hello Dutch445,

I went out to get garbage bag for the can a couple of minutes ago
and I thought I was seeing things- the LA115 was back!!!!!

I went to town earlier and it had not been brought back by then and well,

I could have sworn I had the cable end spring hook at the right slot before but its on the far pulley arm now.

I do not remember doing that before of course it was over a year ago when i mounted it the last time.

I guess I will go over there tomorrow with egg on my face apologize for the mistake and pay the bill and buy a lawn tractor kit for the summer and fall months.

I will mount the chains in the daylight and then we wil be all set for the rest of the month and March.

:ashamed::(

/ 44 inch snow caster for LA115 garden tractor #10  
The easy fixes are always the best! Glad it's home safe and sound. More storms predicted in the next week so maybe you'll get to try it out soon.