4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off.

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #1  

Willl

Elite Member
My late fathers 4410 with eHydro and PowrReverser has a electric clutch to engage/disengage the PTO.

Is there any way to adjust how hard it grabs and un-grabs (has a hard brake stop) ???

Even with just the 5' RC on it really bangs on and than also bangs off.

I'm afraid if I had something heaver like my chipper it could possibly damage stuff.

((And this is at lowest idle possible))

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #2  
My 4110 is the same way...I just lower the throttle to idle. For my chipper I need to start raising the RPM's as soon as I pull the switch so the engine does not stall.

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #3  
Willl -- how can you have one tractor with an eHydro AND a PowerReverser?

If you're at the lowest idle, does the pto "bang" when you're working other pto implements or just when you're using the RC?

AKfish

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off.
"Willl -- how can you have one tractor with an eHydro AND a PowerReverser?"

I don't know, the machine isn't close and I was going off JDs on-line manual specs. Heck, it might not even have neither. It's a hydraulic 12 speed tranny with a forward/reverse flipper lever on the steering column.

"If you're at the lowest idle, does the pto "bang" when you're working other pto implements or just when you're using the RC?"

The RC is the only PTO implement we've ran on this machine. But regardless, it's definitely a 'hard' electric clutch and brake.

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #5  
Willl -- your Dad had/has the PowerReverser tranny in his 4410. As you pointed out; it's a hydraulic tranny but with a clutch and the reverser lever on the steering column. But, it's not an eHydro tranny (dual pedals on the right side; reverse and forward).

Could the problem with the RC be a matter of the slip clutch in the driveline is corroded (stuck)?

AKfish

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #6  
I don't think you can get rid of the bang. I have a 2320 that starts things pretty abrupt also. If you had a manual clutch you could ease things in, but the automated you are left with how fast the engineers wanted it to engage.

I have thought myself that if I tried to start something a little heavier like a chipper, I would have a lot of issues because of the quick engagement.

I always wondered how large of a tractor do you need before you get back into the manually controlled PTO engagement.

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #7  
I've had both kinds -- clutch and electric. And I generally engage the PTO with the throttle at a low rpm and then add throttle. Neither system has given me a "bang" on engagement with my tiller, fertilizer spreader, post hole digger, and occasional use of an Landpride RC.

That said, I really like the electric PTO better than the clutch engagement. Many times, while just shifting the PTO (clutch in) I would get a slight, moderate, significant grind. I'd have to hunt for that "sweet spot" in the engine rpm's to avoid (minimize) that initial grind.

Thankfully, I never had both a "grind" and a "bang"...!

AKfish

/ 4410 electric op PTO, bang on/bang off. #8  
When I upgraded from my little old Bota HST to my 4300HST one ofg the first things I missed was the ability to juggle the PTO with the foot clutch. When my snowblower swallows a chunk of ice, stick etc the quickest way to shut down is the ignition switch. There is just no way to slowly engage or disengage with any certainty....Letting the bush-hog freewheel to a stop just ain't gonna happen unless you kill the engine.

Letting the bush-hog freewheel to a stop just ain't gonna happen unless you kill the engine.
Never thought of that.

My first plan was an over-run clutch, but no hole in PTO shaft, and I ain't drilling one.

I always wondered how large of a tractor do you need before you get back into the manually controlled PTO engagement.
I think it's one of the reasons I went with my 790. Old style stuff.