455 Lawn Tractor wont start

/ 455 Lawn Tractor wont start #1  

Twelvevoltman

Tractor
Deere 455
I have a 455 serial number is 70131. While mowing it died on me. The battery is weak but strong enough to run the mower once boosted off. I got my jump box and started the mower but the fuel solenoid hold back didn't work. I was almost done mowing so I tried tying the solenoid back. It wouldn't try to start. When I turn the ignition key to on, I don't hear the fuel pump priming or see the fuel gauge move. So far, I have taken apart all my wiring connectors and cleaned them with contact cleaner, checked both fuses on the ignition board, checked the 10 amp fuse near the ignition board. I also checked for voltage at the 10 amp fuse holder and didn't have voltage on either side, this was done with the switch in the on position. I know one of the wires from this fuse holder go to the fuel pump and hold back solenoid and assume the other is a power wire but cannot tell where it goes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?

/ 455 Lawn Tractor wont start #2  
Does it have a seat safety switch? Maybe check that if it does.

/ 455 Lawn Tractor wont start
Does it have a seat safety switch? Maybe check that if it does.
It does. I have pulled it and cleaned it and tested it. It works. It's never has had to be engaged for the fuel pump to activate.

/ 455 Lawn Tractor wont start #4  
It may not be the solution, but since you have a known weak battery, I’d start by putting a fully charged battery in there so that I know definitely that that is not the cause of the problem.

Always best to start with the simple stuff.

Last edited:
   / 455 Lawn Tractor wont start #5  
And get the battery load tested. Then remove and clean battery cable connections at both ends. Put a jumper in the seat switch connector so you know that is not the problem. Being as you stated it shut down while mowing, that switch is suspect.

Keep reporting back as you go through the different suggestions, so we can help track the problem and provide further suggestions.

Welcome to TBN. Hope you get up and running soon. Look for the service tech manual for the JD 455, is included with the 425 and 445.

And get the battery load tested. Then remove and clean battery cable connections at both ends. Put a jumper in the seat switch connector so you know that is not the problem. Being as you stated it shut down while mowing, that switch is suspect.

Keep reporting back as you go through the different suggestions, so we can help track the problem and provide further suggestions.

Welcome to TBN. Hope you get up and running soon. Look for the service tech manual for the JD 455, is included with the 425 and 445.
Thanks for the reply. I am trying really hard to not spend the $$$ on a new battery since its towards the end of mowing season. I'm hoping I can wait till the start of next mowing season to get one. If I have to, I will get one. When I am testing I do pull the truck up to it and hook up jumper cables to it. I know this is enough amps to run the electronics, which is what has failed....somewhere. I do know that when I would turn the key to on and let the glow plugs heat up, I could hear the fuel pump prime. Right now, it's not priming when I turn the key to on. So, that's what i've been listening for when i've been troubleshooting, the fuel pump prime. I know the seat switch doesn't have to be engaged for the fuel pump to prime, only to start it. Where do I find the service tech manual??

/ 455 Lawn Tractor wont start #7  
Won't cost much to clean the cables. All too easy to have corrosion and the voltage needed does not pass the corroded gap that can happen. And the jumper cables don't jump that gap either. Good luck.

Won't cost much to clean the cables. All too easy to have corrosion and the voltage needed does not pass the corroded gap that can happen. And the jumper cables don't jump that gap either. Good luck.
The cables have been cleaned. Still having the same issues.

Does anyone know where the fuseable links are and what their values are?

/ 455 Lawn Tractor wont start #10  
If you ruin the pto clutch due to low voltage I'll bet you'll wish you purchased/installed a good battery!