4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor?

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #1  

carpenter383

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
I was wonering what some of you think about this. How big of a tractor would it take in a "pull off" to pull a full size 4x4 pickup truck with a posi rearend backwards? Say a 30 hp 4x4 tractor with ag tires wieghs around 3000 lbs, and a half ton pickup with swampers wieghs around 5-5500 lbs. Which do you think would win?

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #2  
if the 1/2 ton didn't have any weight in the bed and they were not on pavment, I would bet on the tractor.
no weight in the pickup bed = not a lot of traction in the rear end

Aaron Z

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor?
good point

Any one else have any thoughts about a lighter weight machine out pulling the heavier one?.....It would likely depend on how close togeather they were hooked and the location of the hooks

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #5  
Hypothetically speaking - I see a future post title "Hey y'all ask me how i tore the transmission out of my tractor/truck" post.. I just hope there are pics to go with it..

LOL

Brian

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #6  
Probably tractor.

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #7  
I would guess truck due to the higher hp and weight, I know it's all about traction so results would vary along with surface conditions, tires etc. but I would think under most conditions the truck would overwhelm a CUT that size, now a 75 HP tractor would be another storey.

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #8  
I say if the half ton gets any kind of traction, it grenades the rear end. Unless maybe if it's a Ford with the 8.8, then the tranny pukes.

In my experience with trucks in dirt they will usually both just dig holes and neither truck will move, sometimes they will barely come out of the holes they dug after you un hook the chain. Tractors are designed to pull things though, so they have an advantage. Maybe I'll try it sometime lol....Take note.... chains that break under tension can kill you! Straps are alot safer

/ 4x4 Pick up truck vs. tractor? #10  
That's another factor are they hitched solid or is there some slack that the faster moving truck could take advantage of.

In other words which would be better for freeing a stuck vehicle, usually slow and steady wins the race but some times it takes more momentum and jerking to free something, usually when something is really stuck that's what it comes down to as opposed to just steady tugging, right?