5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Brother bought new Dodge Durango and nothing bad to say as it had been a great all around family and tow vehicle... until today.

California got the first major rain the last few days and Durango is parked outside...

He went to start and punched a rod out of the block that was so loud neighbors came out from the noise.

Learned that 5.7 have a design that allows water to pool on the intake manifold and the foam seal allows that water to reach combustion chamber...

Just a split second and the family vehicle is junk...

Had no idea the 5.7 has this weakness in an otherwise trouble free owning experience...

Durango is super clean and rust free and wrecker offered $475 with free pickup.

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #2  
That sucks. If it's in good shape, I'd get a motor for it before I scrapped it for $475 dollars.

Haven't heard of that issue. I do have a couple friends that have had the heads and lifters done on their new ones under warranty though.

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #3  
Ultrarunner,
You said new. Why would this not be under warranty?

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #4  
My Jeep GC has the 5.7 in it. I also have the Mopar Lifetime warranty because modern cars are stupid expensive to fix. Whether it's the motor, the 8 spped transmission, the air suspension or the electronics... one way or another the warranty will pay for itself.

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #5  
Ultrarunner,
You said new. Why would this not be under warranty?

The Durango must be new to them. There was an issue with water getting on top of the engine from a poor cowl design. This was back in the early 2000s if my memory serves me.

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #6  
we used to get people who would run over objects - rocks, manhole covers, etc, and they would occasionally punch a hole in the base and drain the oil and seize the motor. I believe they were generally able to get that covered by their vehicle insurance since it was caused by an outside element. too bad you can't spin this that way... also assumes you would have full coverage on the vehicle.

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today
Yes... they bought it brand new circa 2006 if memory serves... not a scratch or dent with perfect paint interior...

The only mod was opting for special rotors which paid for itself...

Used comparable age in the 2 to 3k range... engine 6k?

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #8  
Yes... they bought it brand new circa 2006 if memory serves... not a scratch or dent with perfect paint interior...

The only mod was opting for special rotors which paid for itself...

Used comparable age in the 2 to 3k range... engine 6k?

So we are talking about a 15 year year old vehicle?

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today
Yes we are... and a pleasure to drive and tows well... he keeps up his vehicles... the 1982 300D mercedes is always getting notes on the window wanting to buy... California cars.

/ 5.7 Hemi Durango Grenaded Today #10  
Yes we are... and a pleasure to drive and tows well... he keeps up his vehicles... the 1982 300D mercedes is always getting notes on the window wanting to buy... California cars.

With the price of new, or lightly used, I would fix it. Put a 5.7 in it and pay the bill. I have a rust free, loaded 08 Tahoe and I would probably put a used motor or rebuilt transmission in it.