5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #1  

rajdwj

Tractor
RK37
After finishing cutting ~6 acres I noticed the right lift arm brace was severely bent and I have no idea how it happened. Full disclosure, this was only the second time it and the tractor had been used
20220603_181201.jpg

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #2  
You are missing the stop bolt down by the left dog-bone (below left lift arm). The nut on the right one is about falling off too. The Flex Hitch linkage is sitting all cockeyed in the picture. Maybe that had something to do with your issue.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #3  
Good eye ruff dog.

These bend so other things don't, resist the temptation to reinforce that stay. Replace it with a new one. Keep the olds as spares.

Also if you're unfamiliar with running a brush deck, mind that when you turn sharply the leading edge wants to dive. Lift a bit, turn, lower. Resist backing up under power unless necessary and watch very closely.

Lots of vids on checking the level and trim of your mower.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace
Thank you both for the help. Something tells me the stop bolt loosened and came out. Have the bar ordered. Will try to bend the other back but it's pretty bad at the deck end

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #5  
For what it's worth, I've bent those on mine and have just manually restraightened it as much as possible. I bent mine accidently years ago with the loader - was trying to move it, I think, and I squished it.

Never had any subsequent issues. But....my brush hog is connected directly to the 3 pt arms so there is not much play ; you must have some type of quick hitch that you are using.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace
does anyone know the size of the missing bolt and the arm bolts

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #7  
Your missing bolt is a 3/4 x 3.5" long (not including head) and the bolts where the bent support meets the deck is a 3/4x2" bolt. The bolt and self locking nut takes a 1 1/8 wrench.

Last edited:
   / 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #8  
does anyone know the size of the missing bolt and the arm bolts
Be sure the nut on the bolt is self-locking. Because of the air gap, you cannot tighten enough to keep a nut from spinning off, even if you use a steel lock washer. Different ways to ensure the nut stays on: (1) Use 2 nuts back-to-back and tighten them against each other (may require a slightly longer bolt), (2) Use a self-locking nut - has a nylon insert or manufactured deformation, (3) locktite-type product - 'blue' may not be strong enough, 'red' will be strong enough but requires heat if you need to disassemble.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #9  
After finishing cutting ~6 acres I noticed the right lift arm brace was severely bent and I have no idea how it happened.
FWIW - I think I have owned three of those 3-point shredders that you show. I found it frustrating that all were built with those metal straps, for if the tail wheel was forced up, say going through a ditch, the straps are unforgiving and are forced to bend. Because I am good at customizing when there is a need, on all of my mowers I cut out a 18"-24" piece in the center of each strap and welded a chain in it's place. Had to be very careful to ensure both sides were the same length. By making the change, the tail wheel easily floats with ground changes, the tail of the mower can be tilted as much as 45 degrees up without a problem, and the chain tension allows the deck to be lifted when I raise the 3-point.