Rotary Cutter 5' Rotary Cutter On The Cheap

/ 5' Rotary Cutter On The Cheap #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Yesterday I picked up a used 5' rotary cutter that was on CL. Made by Modern Ag. Products in Beaumont, Texas. Part of their 'Sunshine Line', which I'd guess is their lighter duty units. I was somewhat surprised that they are still making rotary cutters when I googled them when I got it back home ( Dragon Products ).

Attachments

• Rotary Cutter 001.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 001.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Rotary Cutter 002.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 002.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 114
  • Rotary Cutter 005.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 005.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Rotary Cutter 006.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 006.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 119
   / 5' Rotary Cutter On The Cheap
The previous owner told me it was sitting in the yard when he bought the house 3 1/2 years ago, and he'd never used it since he didn't own a tractor. The driveshaft was rusted so that it didn't telescope, it needs a little welding, and how about that 'shear bolt' for driveline protection ! :eek:

Attachments

• Rotary Cutter 004.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 004.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Rotary Cutter 008.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 008.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Rotary Cutter 010.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 010.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Rotary Cutter 009.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 009.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 169
   / 5' Rotary Cutter On The Cheap #3  
The previous owner told me it was sitting in the yard when he bought the house 3 1/2 years ago, and he'd never used it since he didn't own a tractor. The driveshaft was rusted so that it didn't telescope, it needs a little welding, and how about that 'shear bolt' for driveline protection ! :eek:

A little TLC and that RC will be as good as new!

I think all rotary cutters need a little beefing up in the area where that is cut.. A rotary cutter leads a tough life.. It's amazing they stand up as well as they do!

At least your gearbox is well protected! LOL

I spent the afternoon fixing a few of the problems. Lotsa jizz-bang and a little work with a hammer got the PTO shaft seperated. Sanded the rust and greased it up like a proctologist. Replaced the square headed 'shear bolt' with a stainless bolt till I can get a slip clutch on it. Checked the gearbox..... filled with grease, as I sort of expected.Changed one of the zerks and greased up the u-joints. Hooked it up to the tractor and checked the PTO shaft for length.... it was good. Then I tried it out and I gotta say it worked well :) !! I love Craigslist ! :D

Attachments

• Rotary Cutter 012.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 012.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 144
I think all rotary cutters need a little beefing up in the area where that is cut.. A rotary cutter leads a tough life.. It's amazing they stand up as well as they do!

It looks like I can hammer it somewhat straight and weld the tears up. If not, I'll cut out that section and weld some steel in.

So what did it cost you ?

Well......... I'll just say it probably cost me more in fuel to drive the hour and twenty minutes each way to get it. :D:D

No one will be acusing me of being a metalworker antime soon....... but I did stitch up the cracks and tears this afternoon. :cool:

Attachments

• Rotary Cutter 013.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 013.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Rotary Cutter 014.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 014.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Rotary Cutter 015.JPG
    Rotary Cutter 015.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 140
   / 5' Rotary Cutter On The Cheap #9  
Looks good!

That's not an easy repair! Once metal is torn like that, it stretches, making it nigh on impossible to make a flawless repair..

Ya' done good!

Are you going to paint it??